The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If been searching but can't find the answer I'm looking for. My question is I want to remove the heat shield, I won't stop rattling. If I wrap the exhaust pipes and catalytic converter would that work so I can remove the heat shield? Or will that destroy the catalytic converter and possible shorten the muffler life? I just bought a Larini sport exhaust.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
You won't wrap the muffler, just the header and cat pipes. I wouldn't remove it for a DD. It is what protects your clam, head wrap reduces it but won't do it alone.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If been searching but can't find the answer I'm looking for. My question is I want to remove the heat shield, I won't stop rattling. If I wrap the exhaust pipes and catalytic converter would that work so I can remove the heat shield? Or will that destroy the catalytic converter and possible shorten the muffler life? I just bought a Larini sport exhaust.
The biggest drawback to wrap is it can cause rusting and such. I was always told to use Jet-hot coatings on my exhaust to reduce heat. Of course, they are located in my state...

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
When it rattles something must be loose or maybe rubbing on the diffuser.
Track down the rattle and fix that.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
When it rattles something must be loose or maybe rubbing on the diffuser.
Track down the rattle and fix that.
+1.......Track down your source of the noise, if you have aftermarket engine mounts the whole car will rattle, its not just your heat shielding.

Its a give and take with wrap and corrosion, if you have a Ceramic coated exhaust or SS exhaust you should be fine.

If you are stock its going to rust anyway so why not.

DEI makes some good wrap but I prefer Moroso. Its thicker and does not flake like DEI after a year or so.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your wisdom, the car is 100% stock for now. When I removed the defuser I taped the heat shield. it seem by nature it amplifies any noise. Ill go back and try to tighten all of the screws. Thinking of putting something between metal and the clam.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Or, go naked back and eliminate the heat shield. This is the solution I use in the solar furnace which is called Arizona. We don't cook eggs on the sidewalk here; that is simply boring, we melt pennies.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
I have a rear panel delete, removed my trunk and U-bend heat shields. I wrapped the cat pipe up to the cat itself, but not the cat(to prevent premature death). Wrapped the U-bend as well. I then used a High temp waterproof coating to completely coat the wrap and seal it from water intrusion. I DD my car and its been this way for roughly 3 years with no issues. If you are getting a really obnoxious buzzing you may want to check all the heat shield bolts to make sure none are missing. Another cause could be your header bracket. These are known to crack and cause buzzing and occasional banging with lots of movement between the motor and the semi-rigid exhaust setup. If your bracket is cracked it can be welded and you'll want to run the weld up around the existing weld where the bracket is welded to the pipe connecting back to the crack in your bracket for extra strength.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a really good idea, I'm going to wrap and them put the high temp waterproof coating over it, then I found sr-car.com, I'm going to remove the heat shield and spray the backside and reinstall the heat shield. That should solve my rattling, I'll let you know.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Did you install the Larini yet? I ask because the noise could possibly be the the classic brocken/cracked brackets on the old exhaust itself - especially if the old exhaust is a Stage 2. (BTW that's an easy repair.)

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've got a rattle with my Larini against the inside of the rear panel... driving me bonkers. I'll look into some heat reflective tape or something to keep metal from touching metal, but eventually that's going to rub through and start vibrating at standstill again.

Also, I removed most of my heat shield, and wrapped the exhaust. Been that way for about 2 years and just re-wrapped it this weekend. All I can say is use gloves and a long-sleeve shirt and tape the sleeves to the gloves. I did it in a short-sleeve shirt this weekend and after 3 showers was still itching and felt like really bad sun burn from all the fiberglass fibers in my arm hair and skin. That was Saturday and I'm fine now but it was irritating

·
Registered
159 Posts
mine rattled on the U bend after the cat, so i took the metal off and wrapped it, the wrap worked great, then i took it off to install the de cat pipe and noticed the old wrap was flaking apart very easy, so when i got the new de cat pipe i went to harley davidson this time and used there wrap, it was pricey but i think its better, i have no issues with the clam getting hot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts