The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm experiencing a problem with my car. As title states, my heater is blowing cold air at idle and warm during throttle. Yes, I used google and came to the conclusion that my coolant maybe low? Immediately after reading about it, I popped open the trunk and saw my reservoir cracked and leaking some pink stuff.

Could this be the reason why my air conditioning is acting up? How much for a new replacement and link if possible? I'm not exactly a DIY guy, but I know how to turn a couple of bolts. How hard is it to change this out and any tips? If this isn't the problem, what is it then? Help me out fellas, thanks! Here are some pictures of the reservoir.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
Yes, this usually means you are low on coolant. There isn't enough coolant to circulate in the heater core when you are at idle so the air coming out of the vents will not be warm.

Replace the reservoir. Make sure the coolant is fully bled. If there are any air pockets in the cooling system, you could possibly still have the same problem as well as the car possibly overheating. Bleeding the cooling system on these cars can be somewhat of a pain, so if you don't feel comfortable doing it, I'd recommend taking it somewhere to get it done.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
if the symptoms are cold air when you want warm, I would suggest that the flap valve is stuck. The valve can be seen by removing the 4" main air duct from the top of the climate box and looking down.
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks everyone! It's the heater, not the air condition... But sometimes I wonder why my AC is so weak! Sorry about that haha. Anybody know where I can get a new reservoir? Any local stores carry it being a celica motor and all or does it have to be a Lotus type reservoir? Also, what kind of coolant should I use? I notice everything is pink, not green. Nearest lotus dealership is about 400 miles away :(

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
You can also try parts.olathetoyota.com.

Brand new, these tanks aren't cheap ($150+). The problem with the OEM tanks is that they are prone to dry rot and cracking from UV light over time. Mine developed a hairline fracture after just 9K miles. For peace of mind and some extra cash, you could go with an aluminum tank like Radium or similar.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you guys recommend for coolant? Being a 2zz motor, should I get the Toyota red coolant?

... or does it have to be Havoline XLC? Prestone Dex-cool orange fluid? I've searched on forums and saw nothing but mix reviews and mainly people are leaning towards the Havoline. Only problem is that I can't find any where I live. Searched ALL auto stores and none seem to have it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes If you need anything please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,
M.Williams
MyLotusGarage.com
Thanks! One more question, it is safe to use Toyota's red coolant with the Havoline XLC (assuming it's this from the color) in my car? I bought the car over the summer from the dealer so I have no idea what they put in.

Did some more digging and found the REAL culprit... Pics below!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the insight and help! I'm ordering the Radium reservoir!

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
the havoline xlc that comes in the car is actually a european specific blend. So even if you do happen across it here in the states, its not the same thing!

I also didn't know if toyota red was compatible, so I flushed all the old stuff out and refilled with toyota red.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the havoline xlc that comes in the car is actually a european specific blend. So even if you do happen across it here in the states, its not the same thing!

I also didn't know if toyota red was compatible, so I flushed all the old stuff out and refilled with toyota red.
Trying to figure that out right now.... If it was compatible or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts