The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am not sure what I am looking at exactly on the intake mod. Do those openings go back imediately into a larger plenum? If not, it looks like the ribs are the "duct" and the cross sectional area of the ducts which did not change is now the pinch point so not sure how you would get more air flow to the fan..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Tonywa28 said:
A bit off topic but sort of relevant...Chapman recognized this way back in the early cars. I can remember updating my Elan with nice shiny big tubular a-arms over the original stamped steel channels because I thought strong and heavy was always good. Then a revered Lotus tuner pointed out that now any curb impact that I had was going to send the shot straight to the stressed skin frame rather than the orignal a-arms sacrificing themselves.....much more expensive proposition to replace a frame than replace a-arms...Chapman was a genius because everything was sized correctly for the job, no more, no less and he tried to get multiple uses out of parts (frame sections carrying vacuum is an example). He seemed to more get more performance (at least the kind of performance I like) from the sum of the parts than other manufacturers.
I did the same thing on my Elan, Some sort of polished nickel chrome tubular A arm because my stock ones were looking rusty if I recollect. A few years after I was driving in Boston and one of the A-arms failed as I went down one of the streets there that might just validate ownership of an all-terrain vehicle in an urban environment. The A arm sheared completely... Nice job of plating the outside to prevent corrosion.... erm... but water inside did a lovely job and ate it from the insde out... Glad I was not on an interstate doing highway speed at the time. So I bought Chapman's stock parts and replaced the shiny stuff all the way around :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.