The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Tony:

Sent you andemail and left message on your phone.
Please order one (non pot) and instruct on payment method.
Do not mail, keep it there until we can install it so you dont have to pack it or have the postage expense.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I'll pm the other two and try and coordinate a date. What date(s) work best for you?

THANKS AGAIN!!!
A Saturday would be best for me, but I could stay at my parents house in New Smyrna and go over on a Sunday morning too.

My car is at the dealer getting serviced this week before the warranty runs out, so this weekend is out.

Any weekend after this one is good for me.

Tony- should we bring tool kits?
If so let me know what to bring

Tom B.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
See if the valve moves after you pull the switch, if it doesnt, it is probably the electrical connection. I think it also needs the vacuum to open it, so maybe the vacuum connection could have fallen off. Its is probably easier to check the electrical connection first. Also there is a fuse that is in the kit, so check to make sure that it isnt blown.

PS>Thanks Tony and Michael for hooking mine up. It was nice meeting you both this weekend.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
To people that have installed this:

When you start up the car and drive it with the bypass on and the a/c off and then turn the bypass off, does the vent temperature go up right away?

I tried it and it doesnt seem to make much difference. Also if I drive and have the bypass off and then turn it on, it doesnt seem to make the vent temperature any lower, or does it take a while for the temperature to cool down. This is without the a/c on. Or does the bypass work best when the AC is on?

I tested it once with the a/c on and drove for 50 miles with the bypass off, 50 miles with the bypass on, and then 50 miles with the bypass off, and didnt notice much of a change in vent temperature, but I was heading south and the outside temperature probably was 15 degrees warmer at the end of the test and the sun was constantly beating down on the vent area. I noticed that the temperature in the car with the roof on and the windows up can get to around 120 degrees, when it is sitting in a parking lot, so maybe starting from a garage temperature in the shade at 80 degrees into the hot sun at 95 degrees makes the vent get that much warmer. Or maybe the a/c cycles off and on at different times to prevent freezeup and maybe I was getting a temperature reading from when it wasnt cycling on.

I have a Radio Shack indoor/outdoor thermometer and the outside temperature only updates once a minute and noticed that when I stick the outside probe in hot water, it takes about 10 minutes for it to return to the normal temperature so I may not be getting up to date figures, and the outdoor temperature always reads about .9- 1.1 degrees lower than the indoor room temperature when it is left in a room with the outside probe next to it.

I also noticed that when I play a CD, the radio generates a lot of heat and noticed that the radio is right under the vent, so maybe this was increasing the vent temperature too since the radio might have heated up as I was driving.

I will have to try it at night when the sun doesnt hit the vent with the radio off and get a new thermometer to see if that is the problem. I noticed the little lever moves, so the valve is working.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Michael:

Let me know if you want to use my car for a side by side comparison if you want to do a test. I will be free Sunday after 1 PM.

We could put the cars in my garage and run the tests so that heat soak from the sun wouldn't be a factor or meet at the Blue Anchor and park underneath the covered area. Both roofs should be off so that the difference between a hard top, insulated top, and non-insulated top wouldn't factor into the equation. Granted, temperatures wouldn't decrease by 38 degrees because the cold air wouldn't be recirculated, but it would just affect the vent temperatures, which is what you are trying to determine.

Also with the roofs off, the changes to the sill insulations wouldnt have any effect either.

Later on we could do a road test with the softtops on to determine the vent temperature differences that occur with a car that had the insulation, tinted windows, etc. (yours) vs. mine that only has the floor covers removed and the heater bypass installed.

I almost forgot- Tony put insulation around the black corrugated plastic dryer type tube on my car that leads into the vent area. This helps keep the air going into the vents cool too.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Wonder if this was a design flaw since the access panel area on the US cars had to be changed to be able to get the brake booster to fit under it.

Do UK prior to 2005 cars have the same problem?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
It was posted somewhere. I will see if I can find it. I was at Tonys and he put a knob that I pull out to bypass, and push in to have it work normally, and then I can turn it when its pushed in to adjust the temperature. When its pulled out, the knob still turns clockwise and counterclockwise, but it doesnt affect the temperature, since it is bypassing everything.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I couldnt find the part number. The thing I was remembering was a guy that built his own buy using a bunch of radio shack parts on a circuit board. Too complicated for the average person. Does anyone know if Tony is still around? The switch that he put on my car works fine and I always keep it pulled out, since I never use the heater. He did all the wiring and soldering on it so I am afraid to take it apart to look at it, since I would never be able to figure it out if a wire came loose.

1 - 9 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.