The Lotus Cars Community banner
201 - 220 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thanks to Tony!

My wife can now utter those words I've longed to hear:

"Would you turn down the a/c?"

As god is my witness, I shall never sweat in my Elise again!

(I used to end up sweaty every time out, even when the air was "cool" outside.)

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
My bypass has not been working since the fall...dont know where the fault lies yet...but I do know there is power to at least the heater knob....push pull switch. I have not had time.

I had to drive my car to Auto Europe 2 times last week. Wow...what a difference with out the damn bypass.

I was sweating all the way there and back. Did not want to use the AC so we were just getting constantly hit with hot air. We even shut the vents. Did not help a lot.

Let me repeat that the reason it is not fixed is because I have not had the time....tony has offered to do whatever he could to help me. I have not had the time. All I know is that when pull the switch, the arm does not move..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Check the voltage at the bypass. My solder skills are quite weak. I know one day I may have to repair the heater controls.

Second possibility is the vaccuum hose may have fallen off. Would that be traumatic to the brakes as well, if you lost vaccuum at the "tee" fitting? (If so, it is not the hose. ;))

At one point, with the a/c off, we had slightly above ambient air coming from the vents. I may try Tony's "pool hose trick", to evaluate that mod separately.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I checked the voltage where it connects to the valve and I got 12 volts. I then hooked everything back up...started the car and I see the lever moving when somebody pulls the button. To be honest, I never tried looking at it with the engine running, so I was not getting any vaccuum. I just forgot this works on Vaccuum.

I dont remember the "click" I hear now however...I now hear the click of the solonoid or whatever that is.

So unless the valve inside is broke, I assume it must have been a loose wire.

I will try it later and see if the heat goes away. Will let you know.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
As far as I am concerned, I would have really considered selling the car if this mod had not been researched and done. I just could not take the heat. It is just a "hot" button of mine. This is just so unnessary of a problem.

Perhaps it is because I came from a Caterham and was always hot..and I was just tired of it...or perhaps it is because I told Lotus this was a very big problem back when I drove one of their evaluation cars. I noticed it right away.

The heat was really getting to me and I just did not like driving the car. It ruined the enjoyment for me.

I even bought an extra one in case I get another elise for my son and partner.

I cant find it right now!....but it is here somewhere.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 · (Edited)
TVACC

Tony,
That click is normal. Its just the solenoid engaging. In fact that's a good sign. If the valve lever is moving and you still get warm, it's the valve itself. If you need a new one, it's from a 1998 Ford Ranger, any engine, four port heater valve.
Or you can get either of these part numbers:
Four Seasons 74809
Motorcraft YG350

Tony

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Notorious L.R.G

You are very welcome! Glad you stuck with it when it go ugly:clap: ......and you are right about death by a thousand cuts. It is tight and jagged around the heater hoses...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
BaySailor, etc.

I don't think I ever thanked your or others for the extra $$ in some of my payments. As such:

THANKS TO ALL!

You can be sure every dime went into some car part.:nanner:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
GTLotus

Glad it worked out!

If you can make a picture of your valve installation and post it, it might help out the next guy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Anyone putting together more kits for the summer?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks like a great mod Tony. As a nearby Floridian I would be willing to purchase a kit as well if you get "back in the business".

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'll add a "me too" also,I tried and failed to get a kit last year because you sold out so fast.I'll also add a "please Tony" into the mix if it will help.
Greg

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Sorry to be all business here...but if Tony does not want to do this...I would be happy to for a small profit to make it worth my time. I love doing this sort of stuff and have the time. All I need is to have tony give me a list of the parts and other info.

This is a great mod and I would be happy to keep it going.

I already suppy the rear window protector...and the Sachs shocks. I am working on a removable rear window. Just one more product to the mix.
Please...I am not trying to steal anything from Tony....but if he does not want to do this I am willing to pick up the ball.

I also donate a portion of all my Lotus sales to the LOONYs. Helps pay for our website.....

Edit...I tried to pick up the ball for the jacking points sold my Tesprit with his permission...but we did not get enough new takers to make it feasible.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well I say if Tony doesn't want to do it, long live Tony.:D

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm pretty sure he's posted the 'recipe'. You guys are just asking Tony to shop for the parts, put them in a box, and mail them to you. Believe me, he's plenty busy with his real job right now.

201 - 220 of 350 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.