The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,
On 05 Elise I have a coolant leak that developed from the heater return pipe... Looking underneath the windshield frame footing on passenger side I clearly see the coolant starting seeping after pressurizing the system (start engine and wait about 1 minute) from behind the hole through which pipe goes through the windshield footing "wall" (right about grommet 14 location in attached picture).
Looking at the shape of that pipe I am assuming it crosses through the "wall" (at grommet 14) and almost immediately takes a 90 degree turn towards the outside of the car for a few inches (horizontal at that point) prior making another 90 elbow and dive vertically inside the sill compartment...

:confused:
Do you guys know if I can gain access to that (horizontal portion of the) pipe by removing the dash and passenger airbag unit and possibly something else? I am trying to gain access to cut the leaking section, assess what led to it (fatigue crack, chafing, corrosion, else...), and repair (probably replacing damaged section with heater grade hose).

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The answer is YES - DIY

Got in there tonight... The answer is yes... Good news is you do not have to remove passenger airbag unit (to the left on the attached image).
To access heater return pipe from inside the cabin:
1) remove the dash (there is a thread on it on LT),
2) remove the right side air duct - not shown on picture (held by 2 plastic rivets... grab the spiky portion of it from inside the dash with pliers and pull toward the front of the car... once this is broken you can pry out the remaining portion of the plastic rivet pulling towards the back of the car),
3) twist the elbowed air duct (still not shown on the picture) downward until it disconnects at the end connecting toward the center of the dash... this is a bit tricky,
4) pull carefully the foam padding (not shown either) from underneath the windshield frame.

The pipe is now exposed with decent access if repair needs to be performed. In my case need to cut it to eliminate leaking section and replace with high quality heater hose.

Hope it will help someone some day :D
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yes corrosion_now fixed

yes it was corrosion - very localised - I removed the leaking portion of the pipe and installed automotive heater grade hose and this should do fine for years to come. Also showing in pictures the other end of the installed hose seen through passenger access panel in front clam :D

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts