The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from the STi world, I'm used to seeing a lot of hella supertones installed behind the grills of these cars. I really like the look.

I'm just wondering how that would look behind the mesh of the exige bumper... They would look a little more subdued compared to the STis, because they would be back a little bit more.

I already have a red tow hook in front... I feel like it would look pretty awesome. I realize that I would need to remove the front clam to do this. I'm wondering if it would be too ricey...

Otherwise I'll just place them in a similar location to the stock horn.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i think it'd be a bad idea to put anything that large impeding airflow through the front grille...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...well, i think the extra driving lights are superfluous, too, but most folks seem to disagree on that account...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. Might be a reasonable way to warn those drivers that are about to run you over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I personally don't like seeing anything behind the front grill of a car. If I had those horns on a Scooby, the first thing I would do with them would be to paint them black.

That's just me though.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
...well, i think the extra driving lights are superfluous, too, but most folks seem to disagree on that account...
Yes, I'm one of them. try driving at night without them and high beams on and then with them. There is a definite safety reason to having the driving lights.

I played with the idea of the horns behind the grill so that they are louder but wound up placing them in the stock horn area.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
don't seem to be much bigger than the extra headlights, though I agree that I don't really see the
They're much bigger - require the full height of the clam opening to see the whole horn (I just held up a set to the front of my car in the garage). I wouldn't do it simply due to the amount of air that would be blocked - but it can hit 110F here in the summer.

I'd just go with the Stebel - the Hellas won't be as easy to fit, even in the stock spot (although some have).

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Not

A

Good

Idea

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Just say no to the "boy racer" look, function over fashion...etc. The Sti's have a primary air inlet for the radiator below the opening where the horns are so the horns are not blocking the radiator. In the Lotus, you are blocking the radiator A LOT.

·
Registered
557 Posts
... but no more than the OE driving lights. I don't get how there's a difference. Lotus obviously didn't take issue with the airflow. It's not fashion, the Hellas are very directional. If you're in front of the car and someone hits the horn, you know it.

Newman, my old bugeye wagon has gold supertones in it, so i know where you're comin' from (and i've been thinking about it since day one, but i want 2 more behind the finish panel to go with for maximum "yo, dumbass!" effect.)

·
Registered
807 Posts
i've replaced the wimpy stock horns with a set of airhorns but they are safely and descreetly hidden, as they should be.

but screaming red drink coasters behind the grill aren't as bad as video monitors behind the head rests rotfl

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,711 Posts
...well, i think the extra driving lights are superfluous
Not at all. On a dark country road when I hit the brights with the Lotus driving lights its amazing! Definitely worth it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I decided i didn't feel like pulling the clam. Just installed them to the OEM swaybar mounts. However, looking closely, the air duct towards the radiator steps sharply inboard a LOT just a few inches behind the mesh. It's HIGHLY unlikely that the horns installed there would have much impact on airflow, if any.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
video of what they sound like.

And mounting them to the sway bar mounts. Sure that doesnt affect the function of the sway bars at all>?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts