The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, just wanted to throw out a quick introduction.

My name's Dusty and I'm presently a second year grad student at Central Michigan University. Starting in 9th grade, I started contemplating what my ultimate dream car would be, with the only requirement being that it's realistic. Sure the likes of the Veyron 16/4 could be on a dream car list, but it will never happen. Lotus belongs on the list.

Only in the past 4 years have I realized that owning a Lotus is quite possibly the strongest goal I currently have in my life. I am very materialistic, and the idea of owning a Lotus is one of those things that drives me forward.

I'll be getting my M.S. in May '09, and if all goes as planned I plan to have my Elise SC by the end of 2010. Glad to see there's so many others that appreciate a truly uniquely awesome car :) Take it easy~

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Hey Dusty!

Glad you're here! :D

Save $10,000 a year, so you can put $20,000 down on your new Lotus.

That way you'll have affordable monthlyu payments if you decide to buy.

New Lotus are getting more and more expensive...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I don't know why that makes me sound like an ass. I was trying to be helpful. Seriously, I hate car payments.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Materialism is an incredibly ugly trait. It's the one reason I sometimes consider selling my Elise- because of the way people percieve you because of it. Certainly one of my biggest turn offs in other people.

But hello from a former Michigander and best of luck on your goals. If you admit you are very materialistic you will probably find you will be able to use it as motivation to reach your goal, and then that its satisfaction will be fleeting.

Heard a quote recently from a song that I really like. We aren't punished for our sins, but by them.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
I don't know why that makes me sound like an ass. I was trying to be helpful. Seriously, I hate car payments.
I hate them too.

But most of the time, you gotta borrow some money...:shrug:

Paying $20,000 down might get you into the $525/month range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the nice welcome everyone.

I haven't put much thought yet into how I'll pay for the car. I have way too much going on in my life right now with my studies to do that. I just know that by dedicating myself so faithfully to my studies I'll find a high paying job to make things easier when the time comes :)

SweetDaddy, materialism can in fact be seen as an ugly trait. So can insecurities in one's self image. I know what makes me happy in life, and how this effects the way others see me means nothing to me. Thanks for your input. Smart move evading Michigan btw, it's a horrible place to own a Lotus

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Hello Dusty,

You've made me ponder the nature of materialism. I'm not particularly materialistic, yet there was almost always something I wanted.

As of a couple years ago, I achieved every matierial goal I ever had. After a year or so, I realized I had more things than I had time for and cared to maintain. I sold a snowmobile, a motorboat, a sailboat, a motorcycle, and the Lotus.

For the first time in my life, I don't want anything and am happy with the toys I have. I hope you get there sooner than I did. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Dusty,

You've made me ponder the nature of materialism. I'm not particularly materialistic, yet there was almost always something I wanted.

As of a couple years ago, I achieved every matierial goal I ever had. After a year or so, I realized I had more things than I had time for and cared to maintain. I sold a snowmobile, a motorboat, a sailboat, a motorcycle, and the Lotus.

For the first time in my life, I don't want anything and am happy with the toys I have. I hope you get there sooner than I did. :)
heh glad I could help you come to a better understanding with yourself. I've often thought about my love for my possessions coming to an end someday like they did for you and Sweetdaddy. It doesn't worry me, though, because I know if that time comes it will be something of a peaceful transfer. A hallmark of me changing my lifestyle to a more wholesome one. I'll enjoy looking back on my youth and chuckling at my blind love for the finer things in life, not the simple things.

Until that day, though. That is, if that day ever comes, I'm loving my life as it is. At the very least, this materialism is nearly the sole drive for my major success thus far in higher education. Materialism is securing a better life for my family in the future. Can't argue with that :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dusty, you're a really good writer. :D
Thank you very much for the nice compliment! I actually get that a lot lol

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW I had no idea there was a such a thing in MI! I would absolutely love to drop by sometime and check things out. This Wednesday won't work, but I'll keep my eye on the schedule of events on the page. Thanks for the info!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
keep the 20 grand in your pocket and finance 100%.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
I use to be materialistic when I was young, then I got married and found out where all my materials were going to.

Now Im just istic.:panic:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts