The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm compelled beyond my will to ask this: Today, I went and test drove an Elise and... well, it was an experience. To say the least, I loved it. I'm absolutely sold on it and can't wait to get back from my trip to go buy one.

The problem: I just barely fit. I'm 6'3" and I have to undo the soft top a bit to hoist my torso into the thing. Once I'm in, there's plenty of leg room, etc. and it's quite comfortable. On the one hand, I'm thinking "to hell with it, buy it and lose some weight, fatty." and on the other hand, I think "You're going to look ridiculous undoing the soft top every time you want to get in and out of it. That'll get old quick if you don't figure out another way to get into it."

The question: Anyone my height drive an Elise? How do you get in and out? I really like the car and would really hate for this to be the thing that prevents me from buying one.

Oh, no, I'm not even close to obese. I'm more... err... "broad beamed" than "load bearing", if that makes sense.

The "screw it" and "you'll look dorky" sides of me are having an all out battle royale, cage match, to the death fight. "Screw it" is putting up a hell of a fight.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
welcome :wave:

believe it or not we have people taller than you here that gets into the elise without any problems.

i guess it just depends on the technique...i'm sure you can come up with a few ways to get in without undoing the soft top. There are many ways to get in and out, there is a good thread about how to get in and out (i'll try to find it for you).

edit:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/link-ingress-video-3476/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/ingress-egress-9279/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/best-ingress-egress-technique-13943/index2.html

I say, buy the car and screw the people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yaay! That's all I needed to hear. Sweeeet! God, I can't wait. Thanks a ton!

*edit*
Man, this is awesome to hear. With a little practice it sounds like I can actually use the hardtop.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts

*edit*
Man, this is awesome to hear. With a little practice it sounds like I can actually use the hardtop.
look at the links in my first post.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Hey, if Jeremy Clarkson can get in and out of an Exige with a hardtop on, you can too.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Getting in and out gets easier with practice - I'm not one of the tall owners but there are several members here 6'6" who drive Exiges!

GO for it!!!!

PS: Welcome to LT :wave:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That's only if you could find that for sale.

As it is, height is less of an issue than girth with these cars. I'm about 6'3" 190lbs and there's taller owners.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
You should also be aware that you shouldn't hold the top of the windshield to support your weight. It could break.

Welcome!
Todd

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm the same height as you as you can see in my pic, it takes a few times to master the art of getting in/out. However, it is worth the time to do that!!! Have fun and let people enjoy the show :popcorn:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
If you have dexterity, you can squeeze under the soft top. I do this, but I'm fairly young and agile :cool: Not everyone my height is. Unfortunately, I have had several instances where the door-lock rod (the thing that sticks out) has caught on my pants and torn them. Really pisses me off.

Anyways, I occasionally open the soft top to get out. Doesn't embarrass me. It's quick and easy...and you'll appreciate the comfort :p

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
a lotus looks good on ANYBODY!!
noone looks bad or dorky in a lotus. end of discussion.
go for it, you'll adapt rapidly.
sam

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
If it pulls to the left when you drive it, don't take it to a Kia dealership.

·
Registered
610 Posts

*edit*
WEEEEE

LoL sorry man, had to do it, you're a bit to excited for me. :D Now as the devil's advocate, have you tried other convertibles? Lotus cars are a piece of art but unfortunately some people who buy them, get tired of the lack of creature comforts/easy access and turn around to sell them. That's how I got mine, guy got fed up with it probably somewhere around 8,000 miles :D Make sure the car is right for you. I know I'm a buzz kill but I have good intentions in mind.:panic:

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Get the technique right, screw what other people think (there jelous) anyone with an elise/exige in my eyes are winners! have fun and WELCOME!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am 6'3" 225 and can get into the car fine. It was hard at first, you will need enough leg dexterity to touch your toes. All of the videos I've seen links to don't work, but I figured it out anyways. Put your right foot in the car, bend yourself so your head is near your right knee, get in, pull in the other leg after.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I am 6'3" 225 and can get into the car fine. It was hard at first, you will need enough leg dexterity to touch your toes. All of the videos I've seen links to don't work, but I figured it out anyways. Put your right foot in the car, bend yourself so your head is near your right knee, get in, pull in the other leg after.
That's pretty much how I do it. They key is to be fluid. Right foot in, hand on steering wheel, bum and torso swing in, left foot follows.

Getting out on the other hand has a variety of techniques, just remember not to use the windshield frame. I think I do something like, left wrist/hand on sil by elbow. Left foot out, simultaneously use left arm to push up while twisting and extracting right foot. If done right the right arm doesn't actually have to touch anything and can be used to make it appear that you are full of grace. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts