The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is Maciej and I am 16. I'm from south Poland and I love cars. When I was very young my parents bought me book with best vehicles ever made (pictures and their descriptions). I really liked the Lotus Elise when I first time saw it and I asked my dad every time when we were reading this book to read me about Lotus, this was my childhood dream car and first spark, before my huge automotive passion today. I am here after long, long way of learning about different things about cars. I am here to renew my love to Lotus Cars. I am here without any idea what do I want to do with my life in near future, and I am here to search for help. What should I do next? I never fixed a car, I do not know nearly nothing about technical side of cars. Is there is any hope, anything that I should start doing? I will end high school in 2023, I need Your help me to decide what to do next... Thank You 😄

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
761 Posts
If you want to learn more about how to work on a cheaper Elise, I recommend you step over to the SELOC forums in the UK. They deal mostly with restoration of series 1 elises, which are a lot cheaper (and lighter) than the newer cars we have in the USA.

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
45 Posts
Welcome. Find a car that needs some love. Buy it, fix it, love it.

Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good on you for starting early. Grab A Chilton manual and review engine work for the particular Elise engine you want to learn first. Learning the mechanics of an engine was the hardest part for me, the rest of the maintenance I picked up fairly easy.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
761 Posts
It's probably worth noting that the S1 Elises Kubera and I mentioned use the Rover K-series engine (along with the MGF among other cars). It's not a terrible design (like, say the Triumph Stag V8), but it does demand care from the operator, and if you don't know how a K series is put together when you buy an S1 Elise, you certainly will if you keep the car more than a few years.

The good news is that everything is easy to get at (removing clamshells may be required) and there were plenty of S1 Elises built, so parts and support aren't hard to find in Europe/UK either. Another good news item is that the early K series cars, in particular (being from the early 1990s), have a very simple minded fuel injection system that is easy to work with. Overall they're simple cars that are easy to work on.

Be warned, though: They don't respond well to lots of exposure to road salt and perpetual damp. If you read through some of the restoration threads on SELOC you'll see what happens to things like suspension arms, floor panels, and headlight mountings after decades of exposure to the 'rising damp' of the UK. It's a fun car for summer, and it will get you from A to B on clear roads in the winter, but it will demand more attention for doing so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts