The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi LotusTalk community! My name is Cory and I currently live in Austin Texas. I'm new to the Lotus community but have appreciated these cars since I was a teen. I've never driven any Lotus but have always wanted to after sitting passenger in a S1 Elise back in highschool.

I've been a car enthusiast since I was 14 and have owned only 4 cars since getting my license(some more exciting than others). I'm a die hard manual driver and have driven a manual since I was 18.

I've been lurking around the forums for a few months trying to gather info on the 2010-2014 NA Evoras and have been saving up to buy a new car soon. I'm happy to say I've saved up what I need to make it happen and am ready to pull the trigger. I've read all of the reviews and watched all of the videos of Evoras on YouTube and they appear to be exactly what I'm looking for. I am looking for a driver's car with some relative creature comforts (A/C, stereo, cruise control) but I don't want all of the other unnecessary things that other manufacturers throw in that detract from the driving experience which makes Lotus so appealing.

When I decided I wanted a new car to replace my current 2018 WRX I decided I wanted something RWD, Manual, 2 door, fun car that was a decent upgrade over my current car and under the cost of a new Supra. I've never been interested in muscle cars made in the US as mustangs, camaros, challengers, corvettes are everywhere here. I wanted something special, something I could take in the hill country and carve up or take to Driveway here in Austin for the occasional track day. I also don't want something that's going to destroy my spine every day as I will be using it as a daily.

I'm currently looking to find someone (somewhat) local that has an NA manual Evora that I could drive or ride along in to see if the reviews are true. I've been looking at the 2016-2018 BMW M2 and driven a few of them and want to see how different the two cars really are and which one puts a bigger smile on my face. My main gripe with the BMW is the numb steering and overly sensitive brakes which seem to be more on/off than I like. Plus the maintenance costs on BMWs are notoriously high which is unappealing.

Thank you all for your time and all the helpful information you all have gleamed so far and I look forward to speaking to you all more in the coming future.

Cheers,
Cory

·
Administrator
5,185 Posts
Welcome to LT Cory! I'm sure some of the TX guys will post after a bit and direct you to local clubs and events. GLWS

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
The best resource to connect with the austin lotus guys is Lotus Owners of Texas on facebook.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Cory, I'm in San Antonio and own an Evora S, IPS, not exactly what you're are looking for but it will give you a good idea of the feel of the car. If you feel brave enough to take a trip down here we can go for a ride. As a former BMW owner with experience in all kinds of M models (23 years of ownership) I can tell you that you'll never look back once you drive one of these, about a year and a half ago I was on your same situation of trying to decided between an M2 (great car) and the Evora. Each one of them are fun in their own way but the Evora puts a bigger smile on me than any M2 would. My previous Bimmer before the Evora was an 08 M3 supercharged and although a beast, still didn't give me as much enjoyment as the Evora does. The Evora is nowhere near as fast but the handling and driving experience more than makes up for it!

·
Registered
2018 Evora 400 Midnight Purple MT
86 Posts
Welcome Cory. I too mirror your opinion of the BMW. I was looking at an F80 M3 and when I drove it, I was just disappointed. It was a great car I'm sure but like you said very "numb." No wonder people try to modify the heck out of them.

If you're willing to spend for a 400, why not check this one out? It's in Austin and just listed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts