The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here from the Boston area. Currently own a 2016 VW GTI that I use as a weekend and track car. I work from home and so don't have to own a commuter car. As I've gotten more serious at the track, I've been craving something light with rwd that I can transition to as a dedicated track toy. Strongly considering the Miata ND or an 05/06 Lotus Elise. Bumped into a Lotus owner at the track last month who had great things to say about these cars and who really got me kick started down the rabbit hole of research.

If you're from Boston, I would love to hear about your experience at the local tracks and learn who you use as your dedicated Lotus technician in the area. Thank you everyone! Look forward to learning more as a forum member.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey what's up? I'm in the Boston area and have recently started to track my 07 elise. It's a blast on track...

The local dealer in Waltham is good. Otherwise I pretty much have been doing the maintenance and upgrades myself. I took it to fast track automotive for a corner balance. But that was pretty much it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Welcome! I’m on the south shore and the Vineyard (mostly on MV since covid). For tracks my favorites are Mont Tremblant, Watkins Glen, Club Motorsports, and Lime Rock (in that order). I’ve also driven NHIS and Palmer, but I’m not a big fan of either (for very different reasons). A lot of folks like Palmer, I seem to be the exception.

I had some early warranty work done by AMNE in Waltham, which was fine, most everything else I’ve done myself. AMNE has generally gotten good feedback here. Like most dealers they’re good for routine service and repairs, but they’re not a speed shop. I’d be happy to chat sometime, just reach out via PM.

-Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and intel! Appreciate the warm welcome. I've run mostly at Thompson and Palmer and have really enjoyed both. Have heard great things about Club Motorsports and (of course) Lime Rock. They are both on my list (hopefully in an Elise at some point!). Will look into AMNE. I definitely plan to do most of the maintenance on my own, but it's good to have a reliable shop for more complex work and advice. @AustinP, I may bounce some questions off you at some point as they come up. Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I was just at Thompson on Friday and Sunday. Went to palmer for the first time a few weeks back. Ran ccw and I got black flagged for excessive noise. Big fan of palmer. Thompson is fun too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just at Thompson on Friday and Sunday. Went to palmer for the first time a few weeks back. Ran ccw and I got black flagged for excessive noise. Big fan of palmer. Thompson is fun too.
Small world. From Boston, Thompson is so close that it is hard to beat and technical enough to stay interesting for a long time. I am planning to run at Palmer with the SCDA next month in Int 1. Maybe I'll catch you there.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Small world. From Boston, Thompson is so close that it is hard to beat and technical enough to stay interesting for a long time. I am planning to run at Palmer with the SCDA next month in Int 1. Maybe I'll catch you there.
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of SCDA...I may go to palmer with masstuning October 25th....but they are running CW and I wanted to run CCW one more time before trying the other direction. Also CART is holding an event there October 3rd that I'm considering if I can get my exhaust in time.

I'm almost definitely going to Thompson Friday Oct 23rd.

Aside from that, there's a small track up in Canaan, NH that I go to if I'm bored. Cause its usually cheap...but a 2.5hr drive from Boston.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
May have to check out that CART event (I think it was a time trial event if I remember right?). I have never run with them before, but would love to get in some more days at Palmer.

·
Registered
599 Posts
May have to check out that CART event (I think it was a time trial event if I remember right?). I have never run with them before, but would love to get in some more days at Palmer.
yea i think its a time trial event...and frankly i dont really care to be competitive with them or the pts system...but a few of the guys i frequent the track events with told me that you get a really good amount of seat time in those events.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just registered for the Oct 3 Time Trial with CART at Palmer. @gstomp06 Hope you get your exhaust sorted and I see you there! Would love to learn more about the Elise.

·
Registered
599 Posts
We'll see, I'm still waiting on shipment. I might sign up for this one too:

And definitely signing up for this one:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both look like great events. Unfortunately the dates are a no-go for me. Will have to do more planning ahead next season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys, I'm a newbie from Boston area too. Never track in any track in US before.
Nice! Welcome. No better time to start than now. We'd love to see you out there. Just be prepared to be addicted! Do you already own a Lotus or are you looking to buy as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm hoping to be in an Elise or Exige by sometime next track season... Or sooner if I crack and decide to finance. Lol. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Palmer is a great time. If any of you are members hit me up, I just did a trial and will probably convert, and member days are a riot. Last time I went, I was the only person on track for 4 hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Palmer is a great time. If any of you are members hit me up, I just did a trial and will probably convert, and member days are a riot. Last time I went, I was the only person on track for 4 hours.
That sounds amazing! May have to consider for next season. 9k for initiation is pretty doable vs. some others as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts