The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own a Lotus yet, nor have I ever driven one. But after seeing an Elise in Sarasota, FL earlier this month, I have become very interested.

I already have a 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder roadster, so I think I may be more interested in a coupe like the Exige. I would use it at the track a couple of times a year and just have fun around town the rest of the time.
I would probably keep it for 3-5 years although it could possibly end up in my collection.

Which years, models and options are the one's to have?
Any problems to look out for?
Do certain models or options have better resale value?
Are the prices going up or down with time?
I'd like to keep the price to $60k or less.

Thanks for the input.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Hi John, Iowa's pretty much a dead zone for Lotus enthusiasts so don't expect to see or drive any without a trip to Chicago. All of your questions are very active topics, posted almost daily. The best thing to do is just search each topic in google with "lotustalk" in the search feild and there will be plenty of results. Don't use the forum's search it's terrible.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I have a 2005 Elise which has a few quirks. But is a great car.. But I recently bough a 08 Exige s240 and the fit and finish is a lot better especially the interior.. I personally like the 2008-2009 models with the original Exige S2 body the 10-11 models I don't care for the larger rear wing looks like a supra riceburner..IMO. 2006 doesn't have the super charger and the 07 has it but 220 HP . the 08 is 240 HP. And the interior is a lot better.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,310 Posts
What part of Iowa are you in? There are a few of us in Omaha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't own a Lotus yet, nor have I ever driven one. But after seeing an Elise in Sarasota, FL earlier this month, I have become very interested.

I already have a 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder roadster, so I think I may be more interested in a coupe like the Exige. I would use it at the track a couple of times a year and just have fun around town the rest of the time.
I would probably keep it for 3-5 years although it could possibly end up in my collection.

Which years, models and options are the one's to have?
Any problems to look out for?
Do certain models or options have better resale value?
Are the prices going up or down with time?
I'd like to keep the price to $60k or less.

Thanks for the input.
Hey John, I just picked this one up: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/sold-fs-2007-exige-s-ardent-red-12-733-miles-modded-216129/

I'm from Des Moines, and this one came from Urbandale. Just holler sometime if you'd like to check it out. This is my first experience with a true sports car, my others have been more luxury(my other two are '06 Cadillac SRX and '10 Mercedes ML350), so I'm not sure if I'm the best to speak comparisons, but it's definitely a blast to drive.

·
Registered
663 Posts
As much of a dead zone as Iowa truly is... there will probably be one of us somewhere near where you live :)

Yellow99s is over on the Mississippi in Clinton, I'm in the Cedar Rapids area, and Ruman in DSM. There are others in Omaha if you happen to be in Council Bluffs.

Again, welcome to the forum. If you're around the CR area, you're more than welcome to ask me questions or come see the car (it's a 2006 Exige).
... and just FYI, I do have my Exige listed in the For Sale section, but am not a very motivated seller because I love the car :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm in Quad cities Davenport with a 2007 Exige S
Will be at cars coffe in Leclair this Saturday. Early morning.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I may be biased, and have only sat in an Exige. But based on your use case (only two track days a year), I think an Elise would make the better choice, if only for visibility reasons. Not only does the Elise provide an actual view out a very small rear window, but with the top off, forward and side visibility improves. That said, if you're really looking for a collectible car, then perhaps a high-end Exige would have more collectibility. Here is the oft-posted list of US production numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
John, Ruman, XtinctElise, come join me at Fast Friday at RPM South of Omaha on the 29th.

John, I'm in Urbandale with a 2007 Exige if you would like to take a ride and learn what it's all about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts