The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Currently an Audi owner RS5/A1 but after sitting inside an exige the other I’m in love
Seriously it felt like that car was designed just for me. It felt so right. I’m not a big guy and for some reason I’m always buying 4 seater coups. Currently got a RS5 V8. before that was a M5 V10, before that was a CLK63, before that was a TTRS.

But just sitting in the lotus just felt like everything was right.
So I’m doing my best to find someone who is willing to trade, or by my RS5 so I can get into a lotus ASAP.
There’s not many questions I have at the moment, other then

Is there a indicator delete retro fit body kit?
Is there an open gate shifter retro fit?
There the only things I’d want to change if I got exige

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,446 Posts
Welcome to LT you've been bitten. To answer your questions Greg Racing Products for gated shifter and they have CF lens covers for indicators. If you're looking for totally deleted be sure to re sell your TS they aren't available currently and just glass in a blank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome! I just picked up an Elise and now my FR-S/GT86/86/BRZ feels huge. You'll love the Exige. Great looking RS5 by the way!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was referring to the shifter system it self.

Can this system be fitted to a 2005 model ?

·
Administrator
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I’m assuming the shifter won’t be a direct factory swap fit ?
Has anyone ever done a swap before ?
That after market one don’t look like like what I’m after. I’m asking can you get the factory open gate shifter to fit into the older style exige/ Elise shifter setups ?

·
Administrator
1,446 Posts
Now that we narrowed down your request try this link..https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=15&t=1744488 or this Open Gate Gearshift Conversion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like there are no solutions to a retro fit. But don’t mean it’s impossible. If I was to find a wrecked 2012 model you could easily just swap and modify the parts over to a 2005 model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I’m looking at a exige tomorrow and iv been told it was involved in a rear end accident. Not sure how big of repair or how extensive the damage was but Iv been told it might of been just cosmetic.
What should I be looking out for ?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Seems like there are no solutions to a retro fit. But don’t mean it’s impossible. If I was to find a wrecked 2012 model you could easily just swap and modify the parts over to a 2005 model.

Hope you can find what you are looking for!

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Ok so I’m looking at a exige tomorrow and iv been told it was involved in a rear end accident. Not sure how big of repair or how extensive the damage was but Iv been told it might of been just cosmetic.
What should I be looking out for ?

Probably too short notice to have it done by tomorrow, but get an alignment. A car that won't align is a sure sign of chassis damage or existing suspension damage (which should be obvious). Granted, if it does align, that doesn't completely rule out a bent chassis, but it does reduce the risk. Also remove all the carpet from the trunk and see the backside of where the repairs were done unless the clam was replaced. Look at all the control arms for any sign of buckling, check the rear subframe especially where the exhaust hangers mount in case it got smooshed, and look for overspray everywhere (including the front just to make sure they didn't lie about where all the damage was). Also check the undertrays for any denting in case it went off roading or was not jacked up correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m gonna see if my local Lotus dealer can do the aliment check.
What is the case if the chassis is out of alignment? Would that mean the car is not road worthy?
All iv been told that the repairs where all done by using genuine lotus parts and it got a brand new rear shell.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I’m gonna see if my local Lotus dealer can do the aliment check.
What is the case if the chassis is out of alignment? Would that mean the car is not road worthy?
All iv been told that the repairs where all done by using genuine lotus parts and it got a brand new rear shell.

If the alignment is out of spec and can't be corrected with normal adjustments, be very suspicious. The car won't drive or track well. That would spoil all the fun of driving a Lotus.

If it was me, I would gladly pay for a full PPI from the dealer or an independent shop you trust. Pay particular attention to suspension attachment points, shock mounts, remove the access panels under the car and examine carefully for bent or dented parts. Get an ECU dump. Find out about service records from the dealer's computer. There are videos available here on LT you can watch that will help you know what to look for as well. These cars are often driven quite hard by enthusiasts who may or may not know how to drive. When they lose control they might hit things. Moms in large vehicles tend to back over them because they don't see them in their mirrors....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did a history check on the car and this what came up

Should a slap he wrist and walk away ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m gonna ask the, to take the rear wheel liners off and put it on the hoist. Will this give me full access to where the work would be done? If so what should I be looking at ?
Post pics and circle what I’m looking at lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts