The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, after deciding what car tu buy next, I think its goin to be an Elise S2 now, after looking at a few TTs. The Elise is not as common as the TT, and the styling and performance is amazing so any helpful information would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks all!!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

This is the right place for all the info... not much you can't find out about the car here.

The Audi TT and the Elise are totally different animals, though... be aware that the creature comforts of the TT are almost totally eliminated in the Elise. Seats have little padding, entry/exit is difficult, there are no cupholders or a glovebox, and the driving position is VERY low. But if you care more about performance, the Elise is much much more than the TT.
But the biggest thing is that the Elise has so much feedback that the TT lacks. With the Elise, you feel connected to the car.

Cade

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
_JD_ said:
Why are folks secretive about their location?
Not everyone fills the entire registration form when signing up. I do because I'm a member of a lot of vB forums, so my auto-fill is really quick. Also, maybe she's afraid of stalkers? :D Why do you wanna know where she lives, anyway? ;)

It would at least help to know Samantha's continent to advise her.
I think it's safe to say she lives in North America, given the context of this forum and the content of her post.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
transio said:

I think it's safe to say she lives in North America, given the context of this forum and the content of her post.
I'm thinking she might be in Britain b/c she's not saying that Elises are'nt there yet, she's saying they're rare. If she's in GB, obviously she has more immediate options (used Elise, VX etc.) that's all I'm trying to get at.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Samantha said:
Hello, after deciding what car tu buy next, I think its goin to be an Elise S2 now, after looking at a few TTs. The Elise is not as common as the TT, and the styling and performance is amazing so any helpful information would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks all!!
The wonderful thing about the Elise is that it has excellent feedback. If you listen to the car it will teach you how to drive better, you just have to realize the lessons that it’s teaching. The list of cars that will do that is few. Performance wise it will likely be the best handling street car you have ever driven, even cars costing many times more may be embarrassed on a tight track. The Elise is arguably the best handling sports car in the world. While the Elise is not considered to be a straight-line racer it is nonetheless fast in a straight line also.

The downside for most would be the difficult entry and exit. The car has very high sills and can make getting in very hard. To make matters worst, due to its outstanding performance, getting out is even harder as you won’t want to leave the car:)

Unfortunately you may be in for quite a wait if you have not been on a list for sometime already. The first year’s US allotment is already spoken for, and by many estimates the wait could be as long as two years for someone ordering today.

On the bright side, dealer demos should be in soon. I would suggest you check out a demo to see if the Elise is for you. If you are attracted merely by the cars looks or the attention it will no doubt get you, you’re probably not going to like the car for long. By right the most overwhelming feather that has attracted most the folks here isn’t the way the Liz looks, but rather the way the Liz drives.

·
Registered
549 Posts
WELCOME>>> and

presently own a TT 225 and although not the most popular car on this forum (it is heavier, much more creature comforts, been called a 'chick' car etc) I have the build quality and modability of the TT great. I have done substantial mods to engine, suspension and minimal to body...and at this stage a total blast to drive... great fun to see a 4 banger that is driveable day to day producing 270 hp and 290 lbs torque... but with that said I am also totally looking forward to the Elise since it indeed is an opposite of the TT...lets say 'minimalist' sports car...as they say "opposites attract" and thus my interest in the Elise. If you are not prepared for a very spartan interior as compared to the TT you might want to first get into a Elise demo or someone's Elise just to make sure...

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Samantha said:

Many thanks all!!
Hey Samantha
Welcome to EliseTalk. Here's my helpful info... Don't buy the TT buy the Elise! :D
Seriously though, it all depends on what you are after. The Audi is more of a comercial sports car. Like the Z4, or even the Boxster. The Elise is a pure sports car. If you have a problem with rattles, feeling the road like it was part of you and no 7 way adjustable seats. Then don't buy the Elise. I really don't think you can even compare the 2 cars... they are so different.

Neil

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Compared to the TT, the Elise is:
- more noisy
- more harshly riding
- likely to develop a lot more rattles
- more tiring to drive
- lacking storage space
- lacking interior appointments
- less comfortable
- lacking an adjustable steering wheel, passenger seat, and the driver seat only moves backward and forward (no rake adjustment)

Just making sure you understand what you're getting into. :) I don't mean to insult your intelligence. I agree with Neil though. If you can deal with this car, the Elise is a lot more fun.

Welcome to the board.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
_JD_ said:
Why are folks secretive about their location? It would at least help to know Samantha's continent to advise her.
United Kingdom.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Randy Chase said:
United Kingdom.
In that case Samantha, you have the whole Elise range from S1 elise and Exige to the 340r to the S2 111R and the VX220. I would get the Elise over the TT, but as to which variant, it would depend on your budget and what kind of use you have in mind.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This brings up an interesting thing that we should pay attention to.

As the car is released and more press on the car is written, we are going to have a large number of new people with a variety of knowledge about the car....
RANDY.... What does this mean for the structure of elisetalk? I'm guessing that already you have seen your bandwidth usage rise with the recent press visit to LCU.

Are we going to have to have a newbie FAQ section, and are we going to rebrand some of the message areas?
etc....

·
Registered
493 Posts
we need a super secret forum where those that have been posting for 1 year or longer can go to avoid all the repeat (and in some cases, stupid) questions that are going to constantly pop up.

And if we could get modern wedgie to post more pictures of herself that would be great too :D

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Genjuro said:
This brings up an interesting thing that we should pay attention to.

As the car is released and more press on the car is written, we are going to have a large number of new people with a variety of knowledge about the car....
RANDY.... What does this mean for the structure of elisetalk? I'm guessing that already you have seen your bandwidth usage rise with the recent press visit to LCU.

Are we going to have to have a newbie FAQ section, and are we going to rebrand some of the message areas?
etc....
December 2003 had a ton of hits. March 2004 was also large. But in general, our hits have increased to over 100,000 per day (not unique) or over 38,000 page views per day. Right now bandwidth is harder to calculate (though possible) because the forum is hosted on two servers...it will soon be moving to a third server.

There has been some plans for longer term as we expected growth. Here are some things.

1. As we get more users and more posts, we need to become better about posting in the correct forums. Someone looking for a specific thing should be able to look in the correct forum. This may require more moderation than we are currently doing. My philosophy was to not worry too much about it and not get all crazy about people posting in the general forum. For those paying attention, I normally have been waiting for the thread to drop a little, and then I move it. Almost all magazine reviews for example. I eventually moved to the Reviews forum.

One thing that would not surprise me is eventually more activity in the regional forums as the number of users grow.

2. Yes, we may need a few more subforums. Not sure about that. There are a couple things in work that will also require at least a couple more forums... more about that soon.

3. As soon as I have time, I plan on collating some data and making a couple of pages that contain those things. Yes, we will need a FAQ section. Not much need before since there is not a lot of first hand data. But a section that would cover tires and rims, struts, fire extinguishers, other modifications. It could be come pretty extensive. I would welcome some help here.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Good points all around Randy, it is becoming more work to sift through posts. Parsing them out will definitely help. OTOH, as the cars filter in the volume in the rumors forum should drop and people automatically move to subforums and taking care of the problem itself, don't you think so?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts