The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 Lotus Elise with the touring pack in British racing green and I signed up for the two day event up in Loudon, NH on July 6+7, 2008. The car has about 22,000 miles on it and I'm just curious what I should do to the car before the event. I thought everything would be fine if I simply got an oil change and flushed the brake lines, but if there's anything else please let me know! The car is completely stock with a fresh set of the factory tires and cloth top.

This will only be my second track event so I'm basically a beginner at spirited driving. My first was about a month ago in my 2008 Audi S5. I had an absolute blast and realized I would probably have an even better time in an Elise.

Any others going to be up there? Its a BMW event so it should be an easy task at keeping up with them through the corners despite my beginner status as a track goer.

Look forward to any advice. Hopefully i won't rip through too much of the tires.

I live in Boston + Westport MA.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hmmm, I just joined BMWCCA, I might consider going up there if I can get the time off.
I didn't read though those posted links, but I will tell you this. Install that tow hook that is in your toolkit. I wrecked my Elise at Lime Rock last month and I forgot to put the tow hook in. While they were able to finally tow the car with a contraption that lifts the car from under the wheels, it took a LOT longer, which really sucks for your fellow trackers as they wait for the wreckage to clear before they can run again.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Don't be proud and go out with an instructor for as long as you need to....don't drive past your ability. Use some good brake fluid ( super blue or equivilent ) keep track of your tire pressures.......half a pound is a big difference. ( I run 26 hot with the AD07's & the AO48's ) and of course.....DON'T LIFT !! .........oh and the most important thing: Have Fun !

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeay! Roswell, I look forward to meeting you there! :)

Anucci, definitely come too. There are a few Lotuses showing up for Boston BMWCCA events. I've gotten to know a bunch of nice people in the group, even among the BMW drivers. ;). PM me and I'll give you my cell number, and can give you a rundown of what to expect and what to do your first day. I was new to the track last year, and it was really helpful to talk to some people beforehand to know what to expect. The good news is that NHMS is a great track for our car. It's got about 13 corners in a mile and a quarter (I'm not remembering the exact length, but thereabouts) and the straights are short. The pesky concrete can be pretty frightening at first. To Kestrel's point, the club's instructors are good, they'll be your eyes and ears and will talk you through everything. About a month ago, an instructor reminded me that "what I am telling you is not optional". :) But it's a safe, fun setup and I look forward to meeting you.

Wendy
Wendy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wendy, Look forward to meeting you as well. It will be nice to talk with someone in a similar car. My first driving event was also at NHMS so I'm familiar with the course and the basics of track driving. Even if my first event was in a car twice as heavy as the Elise with all wheel drive and twice the horsepower, it should be similar with the way these events are 'controlled.' I'm just hoping people are as willing to let people pass as they were in the Audi event I went to. It's extremely frustrating when people aren't willing to give the point by, hindering your ability to improve much. I'm sure its especially common for Lotus drivers to really catch up to other drivers through the corners of a track like NHMS, only to be left behind on the straights. (At least for the naturally aspirated Elise's)

In any case I'm going to bring the car by the dealer in Waltham for a basic service and inspection and head up. Where are you leaving from?

Best,
Roswell
Feel free to email me:
[email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
This thread is an excellent example of how a forum like this should work...helpful people and good links/other important information for the original poster to use. You're all to be commended!

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
This thread is an excellent example of how a forum like this should work...helpful people and good links/other important information for the original poster to use. You're all to be commended!
It's a freak accident. Usually such threads will be filled with snotty admonishments to use the search button and fancy illustrations of how it's another repost.

xtn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your post says you have a soft top. You should probably check the BMWCCCA rules on convertibles. I had to get approval from the Audi Club to run my Elise at RA, and then they required the hardtop to be in place. Better to check it out up front.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just registered for this event tonight, just waiting for registration confirmation.
Hope to see you there!

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Check out my post on my first time tracking. I made some novice moves, but learned a ton.

I second the tow hook being ON the car...make sure battery is secure ...drink tons of H2O ...have fun!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Your post says you have a soft top. You should probably check the BMWCCCA rules on convertibles. I had to get approval from the Audi Club to run my Elise at RA, and then they required the hardtop to be in place. Better to check it out up front.
That's interesting. The track groups in my area consider the Elise a targa and not a convertible. The rationale behind the targa classification is the additional protection built into the car behind the driver. Don't know if it's considered "B" or "C" pillar but it makes sense if you think about it. Sure makes for more relaxed rules although I prefer to run my hardtop for better aero anyway.

But I do agree it's better to verify what the rules are in advance rather than show up and have to go home because you weren't knowledgeable.

Roswell, I know you will have a blast. Good luck. Oh, don't know if you will be running with any seasoned Spec E30 folks or not but they know how to embarass virgin Lotus drivers. :) Don't worry, it doesn't take long to hone your skills and then things will change. It's all good!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So here's a little update - thank you everyone for your advice.

You guys were correct in checking in whether or not i would need a hard top - The Boston Chapter for BMW racing does require the hardtop on the Elise, regardless of whether or not this car is considered a targa or not. Thanks to Wendy and her connections + leg work, someone is letting me borrow their hard top (which happens to be the same color as my car!) for a few days while i bring the Elise up to NHMS. If you're here, i truly appreciate your generosity and will take care of your hard top while it's in my possession. I don't know exactly how I can make it up to you but i would be happy to wax your car to keep it shining through most of the summer. I'm kind of a freak with keeping my car clean and use safe methods and good products. Or I'll at least wax the roof while I have it.

Hope to see a few of you guys up there in a couple weeks. Crossing fingers for nice (and not too hot) weather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts