The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted a couple of responses already but I figured a proper hello was in order. I am not your typical car guy. I love Top Gear but I am pretty sure climate change is real and I am a bit of an eco nut. That said I love sport cars, especially those made by Lotus, Lamborghini and Pagani although I also like the RX-8, MR-2 and a couple of other lower end cars. I am currently not an owner. I am looking to purchase an Elise toward the end of next year.
I have a few questions though. How is the Elise for reliability? I plan on using it as a week end car but the thought of making it my daily has also occurred to me. Would I be fixing things constantly? Will I be fixing them regardless? I am planning on getting an 05 or 06 (unless I make much better numbers than expected:D). Do these ever come equipped with a factory supercharger (haven't seen one) or would I have to do after market for that? Lastly, I have heard that there were steering column or rack issues those years. Is this true? Is it costly if/when they go? Thanks for any info,
John

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
very reliable
aftermarket supercharger

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Sorry, couldnt read past the climate change thing...

;)

Welcome. And check out the uber thread. Lots of great reading there that will answer many questions including many you probably didn't know you had!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've posted a couple of responses already but I figured a proper hello was in order. I am not your typical car guy. I love Top Gear but I am pretty sure climate change is real and I am a bit of an eco nut. That said I love sport cars, especially those made by Lotus, Lamborghini and Pagani although I also like the RX-8, MR-2 and a couple of other lower end cars. I am currently not an owner. I am looking to purchase an Elise toward the end of next year.
I have a few questions though. How is the Elise for reliability? I plan on using it as a week end car but the thought of making it my daily has also occurred to me. Would I be fixing things constantly? Will I be fixing them regardless? I am planning on getting an 05 or 06 (unless I make much better numbers than expected:D). Do these ever come equipped with a factory supercharger (haven't seen one) or would I have to do after market for that? Lastly, I have heard that there were steering column or rack issues those years. Is this true? Is it costly if/when they go? Thanks for any info,
John
IF you're concerned about Global Warming you should be getting a motorcycle or road bike. An entire car, even small as an Elise, would be grossly irresponsible and entirely incongruent with your belief system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IF you're concerned about Global Warming you should be getting a motorcycle or road bike. An entire car, even small as an Elise, would be grossly irresponsible and entirely incongruent with your belief system.
I haven't done the math but I think if everyone rode a motorcycle (as opposed to just car pooling) it would actually add up to more CO2. The biggest issue is actually home energy consumption anyway. I'm down to about $30.00 a month there and I haven't given up anything. I've just been very efficient. It's not a belief system either, it is just science. That said there is precious little to do about it with regards to transportation. Cars like the Prius are net losers and not enough people can afford Fiskers. The only ways I see to fix the problem (at least here in the US) would be to totally revamp public transport and relegate cars to weekend play things. Who the hell can live close to where they work these days? You kind of have to go where the money is and that usually ends up being a half hour away. You'd all be shocked to know I plan on buying a big V-12 Lambo within the next 10 years. Mathematically I can drive these cars a couple of times a week, have some fun and still manage to keep my carbon footprint smaller than the average Prius driver by doing all of the other things I do.

Thanks for the replies about reliability and supercharging.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great second post, OP. People that do their homework on ACTUAL causes of CO2 emissions are refreshing to speak to.

As far as reliability, my Exige (basically the same car as the Elise) is far more reliable than the RX-8 - I'm on the third engine with that thing. The battery will die if it's just a weekend car, but that's common and easily preventable.

Check out the Uberpost for a lot more information before purchasing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great second post, OP. People that do their homework on ACTUAL causes of CO2 emissions are refreshing to speak to.

As far as reliability, my Exige (basically the same car as the Elise) is far more reliable than the RX-8 - I'm on the third engine with that thing. The battery will die if it's just a weekend car, but that's common and easily preventable.

Check out the Uberpost for a lot more information before purchasing.
Thanks. Yeah, I've heard a LOT of negative feedback on the RX-8 but it is still a very cool car. I don't plan on actually buying one anytime soon LOL but I do appreciate it from an artistic and engineering point of view.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts