The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member.

After looking at the photos of the prospective new Elan, I have become quite taken by it.

I have not been a long time fan of Lotus (as some here are). I have enjoyed driving an Elise, and more recently - an Exige. I had contemplated the Evora, but before the S came out, the wife and I switched gears to the R8. Since we learned the R8 was coming with a dual clutch in a year or two, we decided to wait for that one, instead. While waiting, we came across the Elan again, and, well..., I'm stuck.

I'd like to get one. But the time line seems so far away, that almost anything is possible between now and then.

I currently have a GT-R, and have owned/driven quite a few cars on streets, and even more on track. If I pick up the Elan, I highly doubt it will see too many track days - not because I won't want to push the car, but because the nearest dealer is about 3 hours from my house.

So it would most likely be a weekend fun car, or the occasional toy to give the daily driven GT-R a rest (or a substitute when the R35 goes under the knife for some serious performance mods). Who knows, maybe the R35 will become the occasional event, and the Elan will become the DD. Either way - win.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Welcome to the group.

I found out really quickly that the Evora is an amazing daily driver. I have tracked it once and had a BLAST but the closest track is almost as far as the closest dealer.

I hope you get what you both want and if it is a Lotus - you will find a wealth of information here that is simply priceless.

--J

·
Registered
736 Posts
Welcome.
Just a note though, (sorry to bubble burst), but if you're waiting for the new Elan to come out, you may be waiting awhile. The new Esprit was supposed to be out and that got pushed back. Who knows what's going to happen with the whole "5 new models in 5 years" plan that Danny Bahar put out. Now that Bahar has been fired and Lotus not only under new management but also new owners, who knows what their plan for Lotus will be, and if that new line up which includes the Elan will ever surface.
They also reconfigured the Exige far from what it was and your experience of it. But the new one isn't offered to N.America.
You can do some searching around here to find out more info on Lotus - past, present and future
Sorry to rain on the parade, but that's where things sit.
Enjoy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both.

Markiss - I'm aware that the Elan was said to be coming out soon (along with the other models). I'm in no hurry. I'm used to Lotus saying one thing, and then doing something completely different (sometimes directly contradicting).

Apparently, the entire family prefers the Espirit anyway. Just went through a vote, one member at a time. Nobody knew the other votes, and I blurred all of the names, so nobody knew which was which.

Yeah, I know Exige has changed... I really enjoyed my previous experiences. It was already pretty fun as it was, and it looks quite different (both on paper as well as in pics).

So, no bubble bursting here. I appreciate the info, though. Looks like I'm waiting for the Espirit.

I recall the Elite (or Eterne, I don't recall) maybe getting offered an optional AWD version... Is there any chance the Espirit may come in AWD?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I dont even think they have the engine for the new Esprit figured out yet. At first it was supposed to be powered by Toyota, then they scrapped that and pushed the production date back in order to work on a Lotus engineered V8, which we're still waiting to hear how that's going.
And again, new Lotus management and new Lotus owners. Who knows if they'll continue with that project or scrap it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts