The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ordering a helmet to use in my black Exige S. I have a choice of black or white (HJC AR-10). I have ordered black to match my car (sorry for being so vain).

I then started thinking about possible differences in function, mainly temperature differences. I came across this piece of advice in another thread:

"Something to consider carefully is the color of the helmet. If you are driving an open car, go karting outdoors, ride a motorcycle etc where you are exposed to the sun a white helmet makes a big difference. You can always have SDD add some graphics to personalize it. First time I sat in traffic at Myrtle Beach Bike Week with a black helmet on in the summer sun I retired it and have gone with white ever since."

Is there a significant temperature difference between white and black helmets in a closed top car? I don't expect to do too much outdoor go karting except for maybe one day of karting school in Oxnard.

Thanks in advance.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
White......no brainer ! rotfl

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Black CF helmet, no issues inside the car......just don't leave it on the hood in the sun. (my car is also phantom black).

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Since I have a shaved head, I figure that might negate some of the temperature difference? Less (natural) insulation...on my head, anyway. rotfl

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
In an Exige the roof is going to keep you out of the sun and it shouldn't be a problem. I normally track my Elise with the top off and thus got a white one.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
My older helmet is a white one. Picked up a black HJC Si-12 about a year ago. Not sure how much color comes into play in this case. Closed face with all that padding white or black don't think you'd notice much difference. The black HJC has much better air flow then my old white Bell helmets and is cooler. With 2 white helmets (open and closed faced), happy with my flat black HJC. I pretty much always track with the top off. I'd say go with the color you prefer.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In an Exige the roof is going to keep you out of the sun and it shouldn't be a problem. I normally track my Elise with the top off and thus got a white one.
I still need to see if i fit okay with a helmet on in my car.

I asked a coworker about her matte black helmet for her Ducati Monster. She has hair that is longer than most guys. She said helmet temperature wasn't a problem with her. Her helmet is always in the sun but also gets air cooling.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
You can't say that without pics of said co-worker.

Anyway, I vote for white. I live where the sun is relentless and it makes a big difference. My previous helmet was black, my current one is white without any stickers or anything... it's pretty boring but more comfortable.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
You can't say that without pics of said co-worker.

Anyway, I vote for white. I live where the sun is relentless and it makes a big difference. My previous helmet was black, my current one is white without any stickers or anything... it's pretty boring but more comfortable.
...i put USA Cycling / USAC stickers on mine :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Temp is not an issue with the insulation amount inside the helmet, just don't leave it in the sun. I have to black helmets. When it gets above 105 it doesn't matter what you are wearing, it's just hot. At that point then get a cool shirt to prevent dehydration.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Temp is not an issue with the insulation amount inside the helmet, just don't leave it in the sun. I have to black helmets. When it gets above 105 it doesn't matter what you are wearing, it's just hot. At that point then get a cool shirt to prevent dehydration.
Good to know. I guess I'll stick with my original pick, black.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been debating the same question. Wind buffeting is a problem in the 2-Eleven with a standard helmet for several reasons: 1) GNS (Giraffe Neck Syndrome) as the wind tries to reorganize your anatomy; 2) wind turbulence in helmet microphones drowns out intercom communication with driving instructors; 3) ineffective helmet ventilation.

I've always had Bell helmets and their newest and best open cockpit helmet, the T6 Interceptor, designed for Indy, addresses all 3 issues. Only problem is it only comes in black! What's with that? Drivers suffering from frostbitten ears? I like the Darth Vader look as much as the next guy, but wearing a pressure cooker in the summer at Buttonwillow is a high price to pay for fashion. Haute couture, indeed.

Then again, Bedouins wear black in the heat of the desert. Is Bell onto something? A quick Google search reveals: "Darker clothes absorb more of the sun's energy, so this seems to make no sense, say David Halliday et al. in "Fundamentals of Physics." In fact, black robes have been found to be 6 Celsius degrees hotter than similar white robes. The Bedouin secret lies in the convection breeze set up when the warmer air inside a dark robe rises faster and escapes upward through the porous material, sucking in air from below. So a black robe winds up being no hotter, and its circulating air may even make things more comfortable."

According to Bell: "The ultra lightweight T6 features a V-Top configuration to help accelerate airflow and eliminate buffeting and lift at high speeds. The helmet also features a rear wicker that improves helmet stability. The innovative front vents are designed to collect airflow and redirect it through internal vent channels to eliminate shield fogging." Shrewd devils.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts