The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've spent the last couple hours searching the web and the archives, but have had no luck. This is not a question about SA vs M ratings or who makes the best helmet. My issue is with finding a helmet that fits. For motorcycle helmets, I have an Arai head. Well, that's not entirely true. I wear their narrow model, the Signet G/T. It's been comfortable and tight for hours on end. The Shoei I had before had about a 2-3 hour time limit on it. After that, it was headache city.

Here's the issue. I've only found one shop local to me that carries auto racing helmets. I'll be heading out there on Monday. Beyond that, I don't seem to have too many options. So to the experienced helmet buyers out there, a few questions:

• Do you find motorcycle helmets and auto racing helmets to be shaped similarly by brand? So if I have an Arai motorcycle helmet head, will I most likely have an Arai auto helmet head?
  • Can anyone recommend a helmet shop in the Portland, OR or Salem, OR area?
  • Can anyone recommend a helmet shop in the NW burb area of Chicago?
  • Can anyone recommend a helmet shop in the Columbus, OH area?
I'm a big proponent of fit being the key to a good helmet. I can't get that online. Thanks in advance.

-Brad

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
bgsterling said:
I'm a big proponent of fit being the key to a good helmet. I can't get that online. Thanks in advance.
-Brad
I agree. The helmet I had chosen that was a REALLY great deal (was on sale for half price) fit me decently. It wasn't a great fit, but it was OK. Then I tried on a helmet that was more expensive (but less than the regular price of the first one) which fit FAR better. The difference was unreal, and I'm sure if I chose the first one I'd have gotten tired of it after one session on the track. Good luck. I chose a Bell if that helps.

I just noticed where you are from. I'm part owner of the Post Office there in Mulino. :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
FWIW: I also have an ARAI motorcycle "head shape" and found that transferred well to my ARAI GP5-W track helmet.

If I were you I would check the policy at a number of the larger online retailers (there is an ARAI one in Indianapolis if I recall, Pilot Race Gear maybe?) and find one which will allow you to reurn the helmet (within a few days) if it doesn't fit. It's what I did.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW: I also have an ARAI motorcycle "head shape" and found that transferred well to my ARAI GP5-W track helmet.

If I were you I would check the policy at a number of the larger online retailers (there is an ARAI one in Indianapolis if I recall, Pilot Race Gear maybe?) and find one which will allow you to reurn the helmet (within a few days) if it doesn't fit. It's what I did.

Thanks for the data point on the Arai. Someone else mentioned what you did in one of the archive posts (Maybe it was you?). To buy 3-4 helmets online, try them on and return all but the one you choose. You lose a little on restocking fees, but you get a proper fit.

I'll check out Pilot Race Gear. I'm driving through Indianopolis when driving from Chicago to Columbus. Maybe I'll stop in.

-Brad

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Tickle: Thanks for the link. That shop's about 10 miles away from where I'll be. I'll check them out.

Feffman: Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to avoid mail order, but it sounds like Simpson is trying to make it easy. Good to know.

-Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts