The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for someone with an Elise that has a full faced helmet...

Will at Bell/Simpson full faced helmet fit in the boot? (with or without helmet bag).

Just trying to anticipate where to carry a helmet... If it won't fit in the boot and there's a passenger on board then I may have to wear it on my head. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
khamai said:
Will at Bell/Simpson full faced helmet fit in the boot? (with or without helmet bag).
I haven't tried, but the boot is quite large. I can try one of my full face motorcycle helmets tonight if you'd like...

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim,
That would be helpful. Thanks!

I figured you or Chris could answer this question, but Chris is at LCU & running the Dragon today. :)

Kind of silly, I didn't check this out when I had the car in May at the WCLM. I just dumped my helmet in the passenger seat.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
442 Posts
It fits. You may want to fashion a way from it rolling about, of course.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Speaking of helmets...is there a difference between a motorcylce helmet and a helmet for a car? I know little to nothing, but I intend to autocross more, so I need to get something. Any and all help is appreciated...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Both my Bell open-face and Simpson full-face helmets fit in the demo cars. Barely.
The full-face helmet needed to be on it's side. I couldn't close the trunk with it sitting up straight in it's bag.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Surferjer said:
Speaking of helmets...is there a difference between a motorcylce helmet and a helmet for a car? I know little to nothing, but I intend to autocross more, so I need to get something. Any and all help is appreciated...
yes they are different and have different ratings. The biggest difference is that most Auto helmets have fireproof material inside. They are also supposedly designed to take different types of impacts. You want a helmet that is SA2000 certified.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Surferjer said:
Motorcycle helmets (M2000 if you buy one now) don't have to be flame retardent while 'car' helmets (SA2000 for Special Applications) do. SA helmets also have to withstand repeated impact from a rollbar.

I dug this up on another forum:
"I just read the M2000 and the SA2000 specs. They are almost identical with
the exception of the flame resistance testing on the SA models and the
addition of one different anvil in the impact tests. The SA rating includes
three impacts with a rollbar anvil at 150, 120, and 100 Joules.
The other anvils used in both tests are:
Hemispherical anvil - two impacts, 150 and 110 Joules
Edge anvil - one impact, 150 Joules

The other tests are also the same.
Chin bar test - 5kg mass dropped on the chin guard at 3.5 m/s
Shell penetration test - 3kg striker cone dropped from 3m height
Face shield test - 1g lead pellet at 500 kph velocity"
Naturally SA helmets tend to cost more. If you ever race WTW you'll need an SA helmet (and a suit for that matter). I don't know what Solo1 requires. I've never been to a track day where M2000 wasn't good enough though.
The SA helmet is obviously a bit safer. The M helmets tend to have larger eyeports and better ventilation. Good ventilation costs quite a bit of money on an SA helmet because all of the vents have to be flash proof. Some people are irritated by flame retardent fabrics.
I have a cheapy M helmet and a high end SA helmet and I tend to wear the SA helmet when I drive and I loan out the M helmet when someone needs to borrow one.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
NMRJock said:
SA helmets also have to withstand repeated impact from a rollbar.
Actually, both helmets have to withstand a series of impacts of various shapes. The SA helmet just has to withstand an additional "roll bar" test.

As mentioned, the SA helmets also have to have "flame retardant" linings.

Motorcycle helmets are required to have a bigger "eye" opening to increase the field of view out of the helmet.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
It sounds like for now I'll get a cycle helmet. I want more vision, and I'm not too worried about flame resistence competing in Solo II. Thanks for the help, guys.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Surferjer said:
It sounds like for now I'll get a cycle helmet. I want more vision, and I'm not too worried about flame resistance competing in Solo II.
That's the problem. Although I suspect that both types will be more than adequate (unless you are out racing Formula Cars, NASCAR, or Indy cars), many tracks require SA helmets for track days - not all, but many (most?). If you get a M helmet for auto-cross, you many not be able to use it on a track.

One of my pet peeves, since I do have Motorcycle helmets for riding bikes, and never wanted to get an extra just for a track - especially since my car didn't have a roll bar, and I didn't need a flame proof driver suit to go on the track...:wallbang: Nor do you need a full fact helmet. An open face SA helmet is good for track use, but a full face M helmet is not...:huh:

Bottom line is that if you are buying a helmet for competition in your car, you will probably be ahead buying a SA helmet.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Good advice, and thanks Tim. I said I'd never race mine, and it found the track within three weeks! Hell, I may be tracking it like mad next year. I guess I'll prepare for that contingency. Now, anyone have spare wheels for the Elise that I can buy??? I need to put slicks on it for autocross days...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Surferjer said:
It sounds like for now I'll get a cycle helmet. I want more vision, and I'm not too worried about flame resistence competing in Solo II. Thanks for the help, guys.
Find a local reseller of SA helmets and try some on. Some helmets have much wider fields of vision than others.

Jim

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I like to have a helmet for each purpose. I like my motorcycle helmet snug because the air travelling over the helmt tends to lift it off your head! I like my race helmet (Simpson) a little looser because I don't enjoy looking like a chipmunk with the visor open (see "motorcycle helmet" comment above.)

The only time I've used my motorcycle helmet in an automative application was at Bob Bondurant's where I drove their Formula Fords. The air travelling over the car and helmet meant that the motorcycle helmet would be more secure. (Make sure to use your chin-guard/air deflector though... lots of air flowing into the helmet from the open chin area...)

If you're going to do Solo II, I think a motorcycle rated helmet (M2000) would be fine. But if you think you'll do any other open track events, I'd spend the extra money and get a SA (Special Application) rated helmet.

Bob

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
To keep them from rolling around in the "trunk" take a look at the fitted bag from the Lotus accessories catalog. As the name implies it is designed to fit the trunk area.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
khamai said:
Question for someone with an Elise that has a full faced helmet...

Back to the original question:

I placed my old Bell motocross helmet in the boot. The lid would not close - by about an inch - with the helmet sitting upright. Laying the helmet on it's side, it fit fine. It does take up a lot of the opening however.

For what it's worth, it is a extra large size helmet - I wear a size 7 3/4 (big head) - but I don't know if the helmet is physically bigger than most on the outside.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for checking Tim.

At least we know it fits... maybe nothing else will. It's a 1 helmet boot! :D

As an aside, I can't get my helmet to fit in any direction in my Elan boot. No problems in a Europa or Esprit. In a Seven, well that's a whole new question... a small trailer for the helmet is the likely solution!

Thanks again!
Kiyoshi

1 - 20 of 22 Posts