The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'12 Evora S delivered with non-functional AC. re-charged system and got it to work, but over 6 months, it gradually lost ability to cool. dealer supposedly found a leak and recharged, but 6 months later, the system will not cool and lacks refrigerant. any tips/tricks on where to look first? my take is, since it was delivered without any refrigerant, the leak is likely to be at a connection point.

·
Lotus Noobie
107 Posts
If it has warranty, bring it back to the dealer to get that fixed.

When the dealer found the leak, shouldn't they have repaired it instead of just recharging it (unless they did repair)?

The AC condenser is known to get beat up with all the rock being kicked up and could have a leak there. Maybe a dye kit to diagnose?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just had mine repaired at the dealer. Mine is an 11 still under warranty. The service tech stated that there was an "O" ring that was known to leak and he had to replace it and then add new refrigerant. There was a service bulletin out on it. He used some kind of dye to see where the leak was in the lines by looking at it leaking out at the "O" ring. It works great now and I have driven it on some hot dry days in the mountains pretty hard. :UK:

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
My '11 AC condenser was replaced under warranty after it lost its charge. (AC was slowly declining). Dealer did a dye test to determine it was leaking. They said it was a common problem as they had a bad batch sent from the supplier...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I had the O-ring seal problem early on (found with the dye), and the fix and system have been AOK for more than 3 years now. I use the AC year 'round at least once a month.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys for the tips. dealer treats the lotus brand as a thalidomide redheaded stepchild. change in ownership and staffing has not helped. supposedly repaired the "leak" before, but i suspect they did nothing other than recharge. a dye test is de rigueur but i'm not there to eyeball them....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts