The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I jacked up the car yesterday to bleed brake/clutch.

Jacked up driver side, put the stands on the B and C spots. Jacked the passenger side and did the same.

Finished the job. Left the car on stands, put three wheels on except for the passenger front wheel. A few weights fell off so I wanted to put those weights back on before I put the wheel on.

This morning, put the wheel back on, and brought the car off the jacks. That wheel plunges into the wheel well. When I drive the car, traction control comes on and does not let me speed up.

Did I screw something up or that shock needs to warm up to even out??

I am very scared . Any direction would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Sounds like a perch on a strut has let go. Enlighten us about your suspension!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does this mean? Can you elaborate by a little more details? I have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry, relatively new :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
You haven't supplied enough information! I would take the wheel off and see if something is loose or broken on your suspension.

He is talking about where your springs mount on your shock assembly...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys. I am so upset that I failed to provide the specifics.

2008 Exige S240
Bilstein

I could not see anything out of the ordinary. I just jacked up this side and looked at the front passenger suspension. I am gonna put the car back on stands and compare both fronts.

Let me know what you think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
I think traction control is coming on because you're actually lifting one of the rear wheels (or making it very light on the road so there's little if any traction assuming you have no LSD) due to one of the front sagging. maybe you broke a spring or the strut has failed? can you post a photo of the suspension on the problem wheel?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Check the shock/spring assy. Check the hub assy. bolts. These are the obvious two bolt possibilities of a susp. drop. A clipped ABS sensor near the caliper is another thing to check.

You didn't try to do the shim removal did you? These are the hub bolts that could be a problem.

When you jacked the car up did you put the jack under the suspension or the side of the car? If the suspension, check out the bottom of the shock.

Make sure the spring is on the adjustable perch on the collapsed side. If so, is the collar in adjustment? This would be the best scenario if the spring perch is off or way out of adjustment.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can anyone see anything suspect? I can't visually see any difference between the two sides. The length of the spring on both sides (now that the car is on stands) is equal (8 inches).

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
2 pics of the healthy side:
Look at the brackets at the top of each strut. The 'good' one has a bushing and what looks like a mounting bolt. The 'bad' one doesn't. The absense of that bushing at the top of the one bracket would, I think, cause that corner to sag as you describe.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If this (circled in red) is what you are referring to, the passenger side wheel arch is different and there is nothing to hold with those plastic pieces. The space behind these bolts is hollow on the passenger ('bad') side. :wallbang:

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Post#8 Second picture, the rubber bushing/booth at the middle of the picture. Is it the same condition on the driver side?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok. No idea if this matters. But the orientation of the green mark on these bolts don't match on both sides.

On the bad side (first pic) the green mark is up top insread of the front of the bolt (second pic is from the good side).

On the bad side the green line on the bolt (3rd pic) is almost horizontal but on the good side the green line is vertical.

:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another thing that may help you analyze this. The pics below are from when the car is on jack stands. Notice how the wheel on the passenger side is higher. First seam on the tire is at 3 6/16 but the healthy side is at 4 2/16.

Again, here the shock is not compressed!

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
the good news here may be that any decent shop that can lift the car correctly - will be able to troubleshoot this problem rather quickly i would think. If it comes down to that, make sure you are present for the lift and show them the spots to lift at.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Besides what I mentioned in post #1, when I was jacking up the car I first jacked up the driver side, put it on stands and then did the passenger side. Whatever has changed to drop on the passenger side, may have happened at this stage.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts