The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All good found the problem. I wish I could erase the post Thanks

1. A zip-tie was hung up on the back of the radio
2. The head on the screws holding the side brackets for the W900 are too large to fit through the opening. They should have used flat head screws WTF

The more I work on this car the more I question who the hell put this thing togetherTADTS. I read the directions below and its not working for me. I am concerned that the back of my W900 is bolted to the back. It will not come out, I don’t want to pull the dash any-thoughts.:panic:

At this point, it's just 4 obvious screws to remove the radio.
(No helpful photo required.)

Once loose, it needs to be pulled straight out. There is a plastic nub screwed into the back of the radio that fits into a slot in the dash. This may hang up a bit, but if you wiggle it, and pull straight, it will come out.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I have done a couple installs in my day, but this time i decided to hand it over to pros. I will be posting the install hopefully this weekend. I had AutoExotica(I know, weak name) of St.Louis do my install. Checked out their shop and some of the high end installs. I should have my car back Friday. My car did not have the Tech package. There was no amp or subwoofer in my car. The installer is taking pictures as he goes so I can post the documented install once they are done.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if i remember right autoexotica had some of their work done at JML of ST Louis... then the guy was passing it off as their install... ouch!

Anyways there is 4 allen head screws that hold the brackets to the radio in place. they are for adjusting the radio position, and can be accessed through a hole in the plastic... loosen, spread apart, remove radio... I seen a few evora's radios being replaced, none had a zip tie on it, I seen the wires that had a zip tie though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
if i remember right autoexotica had some of their work done at JML of ST Louis... then the guy was passing it off as their install... ouch!

Anyways there is 4 allen head screws that hold the brackets to the radio in place. they are for adjusting the radio position, and can be accessed through a hole in the plastic... loosen, spread apart, remove radio... I seen a few evora's radios being replaced, none had a zip tie on it, I seen the wires that had a zip tie though.

That is key because they use larger head screws on the radio that dosent allow it to clear the bracket.

My car is in the garage, I have been working on it since Sunday. Installing new door speakers and adding radar wire and Amp for W900 T455 + Dyno-Mat fixing mistakes from the factory. This is not like any-car I have ever worked on before & I have worked on many. The panel around the radio needs to be pulled out carefully. The dealer tells me he has broken clips on almost every-one he pulls:eek: I am OCD and rather fix the car myself if its audio or trim related. Who ever did my door re-call left all the old parts in the door frame. WTF Dealers and some stereo shops get in a hurry tell them to take their time. This car is a pain in the A to take apart. A long time ago I was a high-end car audio and Home system installer it help pay my way through college.;)

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I'm Ok with JML doing the work for AutoExotica. I went to JML originally, but they were asking $5k for a headunit and door insulation. No speakers, no amp, no subwoofer. was able to get everything from AutoExotica for less than $5k including a set fo Morel Elate speakers.
I have read nothing but glowing reviews about JML, but at the prices they charge I would be Over $10K by the time they finished the install. I work for a living and can not put that much into a stereo for my weekend car..
I will report as soon as I get the car back, hopefully tomorrow

sorry fasttoys for hijacking your thread

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
They've designed this car like a rubiks cube...

It takes several hours just to remove the front or rear clams. Surely they can't just make it easy for the interior as well!

I think here are a special set of tools needed to pry and pop out the brushed aluminum trim around the stereo.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
They've designed this car like a rubiks cube...

It takes several hours just to remove the front or rear clams. Surely they can't just make it easy for the interior as well!

I think here are a special set of tools needed to pry and pop out the brushed aluminum trim around the stereo.
Like your new avitar squid (kept picturing you as a bald cranky midlle age clarinet player)
I could not get the trim off from around the stereo. I was sure I was going to break something. It seems everything uses high strength bolts or velcro. The Stereo installer had the radio out in about 20 minutes the doors took anthor 15. the back seats and enclosure for the sub and amp took 2 hours..

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Squid trim tools work just fine but there are a few tricks I have learned to make it easier. Mainly opening the DVD door on the radio and leaving it open while pulling with a tool on the right and your fingers on the left.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like your new avitar squid (kept picturing you as a bald cranky midlle age clarinet player)
I could not get the trim off from around the stereo. I was sure I was going to break something. It seems everything uses high strength bolts or velcro. The Stereo installer had the radio out in about 20 minutes the doors took anthor 15. the back seats and enclosure for the sub and amp took 2 hours..
they use unobtainium in the installation :) I am sure it was a misunderstanding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts