The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be short the vehicle is a 2007 Elise type 72 D. I have Usaa insurance in Washington State but I just moved to New Jersey. The insurance in NJ: Usaa insurance will be around $400 a month and I called Geico which is around $180 a month for the same coverage. The only issue I am thinking about is why Geico is so much cheaper for the same coverage as Usaa? Also, Another ?, Geico said for the lotus if it was totaled out for an accident it would be the true market value of the vehicle that is the same as other insurance companies like they generate a report of three alike vehicles around your area plus taxes and theings like that. I am just being careful so if something does happen I will not be f-uped if a claim has to be filed. Thank you for your time inputs and thoughts. On another note in WA I was paying around $124 a month and Usaa insurance stated the insurance is more in NJ due to the state and fixing the vehicle. Sorry again I am just asking questions to reinsure myself of completing the switch.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey,

Ran into the same problem moving out here from Washington to NY. My premiums went up about 40-50 bucks a month through USAA. If you check, you'll probably find that NJ wants much higher protection levels than WA. That's what we get for living on this side of the country I guess! I would really check with Geico to make sure the coverage was the same. I could see a 50 buck difference, but not that much. You should be able to do a side by side comparison to check the coverage.

Later
Corvus

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've found that I always seemed to get gouged by staying with one insurance company. I was with lib mutual for like 8-10 years, home and auto, then on a whim got some lower quotes that liberty refused to match, so I switched. The kicker is after a year or so, I did the same thing, and the lib mutual quote came back way less than the quote they previously refused to match. Perfect driving record w/ zero claims of any kind over this time period, and same address. I can only figure that their quoting algorithms are biased to get new customers.

My point being, that just because the other guy is cheaper, doesn't necessarily mean you're getting less coverage.

Also, I think the WA to NJ rate hike is actually a government imposed tax on making poor life decisions.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I lived in NJ my insurance rates TRIPLED. Something about NJ. I used GEICO when I was living in the UK and again in VA with no issue.

I've been with Allstate for 15+ years and now that I've sold my house I'm thinking of moving to USAA. My kids will be able to use USAA too. It used to be for officers and their offspring only.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We moved from Geico to USAA here in TX several years back and our premium did go up a bit, about 3-4% total on 4 vehicles and 2 motorcycles. We also added the house insurance on the policy with USAA (Home went down actually with better coverage).

In your case, it is a huge delta in terms of cost and also a no brainer if you have similar coverage. However, in terms of service, care and quality of the people at USAA; I have not found anything better. Hence, I am fine with a little premium for the service. You just need to take time and review your policy and compare to make sure you are gettting the same thing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Also, I think the WA to NJ rate hike is actually a government imposed tax on making poor life decisions.
rotfl

I just got the renewal quote from Progressive for my 2nd 6 month period. Bastards want a 10% increase. For absolutely no good reason. Am shopping around as a result. Everything else I have is with Allsate (house, pile o cars), but they wouldn't insure the Lotus. :rolleyes:
My agent did say that Travelers is actually having a rate reduction (in my area at least) starting in mid-Feb. That may be my hot ticket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts