The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay with 1200 miles on the car the brakes are still "creaky"... deeper in pitch than a squeek but not a grind only when stopping slowly like for a light.

tried the normal seat the pads in reverse drill and no go on this car apparently. anyone have any suggestions cuz pullin up in a 50k car with funky brake noise is a BIT embarassing:rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ive done 10K in my Exige (in 4 months . . . that's cool!) but my brakes still make a high pitched squeek now and again, more often than not while just driving along, if I touch the brakes,very very lightly then it goes away, spoke to atlanta, they said it was ok but I hate it to drive down the road in what looks like an exotic just to have it sound like I have a brake issue.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My car started making identical noises at around 700 miles. Exact same situation as you are describing. Low speed braking and only at the very end when you are coming to a stop.

At my 1000 break in service, I asked Southbay Lotus to look into it as the groaning was loud and seemed like something was wrong. I was told that washing the car sometimes casues this and that it would go away. I was dubious about that explanation at the time. However, at 2800 miles my car no longer makes these noises...

Hang in there, the noise should end eventually!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm not a brake expert. But, I know that brake pads, like tires are always some form of compromise. With tires, you can have either great dry performance, or great wet performance... not both. With tires, you can have either excellent grip or longevity... not both.

With brakes, you trade performance for noise, dust, and reduced longevity. I don't know where the stock Elise pads fall in the spectrum of performance. The Hawk HP+ pads I have on my Subie STi perform very well, but the make dust like crazy, are noisy, wear more quickly, and are harder on the rotors than the stock pads. Go to a track even and you'll hear the pads on the track-prepped cars are REALLY loud when moving slowly in the paddock.

Bottom line: High performance pads = noise. It's not necessarily an indication of a problem. I'm kinda weird... When I hear brake noise, I hear performance! LOL!

After washing a car, if you look at the rotors the next day... or even a few hours later, you'll notice a fine layer of rust. This can temporarily increase the noise until it wears off with use.

Anyone know what pads are OEM on the Elise? Or what they are equivalent to?

Mike

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
flyguyskt said:
okay with 1200 miles on the car the brakes are still "creaky"... deeper in pitch than a squeek but not a grind only when stopping slowly like for a light.

tried the normal seat the pads in reverse drill and no go on this car apparently. anyone have any suggestions cuz pullin up in a 50k car with funky brake noise is a BIT embarassing:rolleyes:

i know what you mean... overseas service said there's nothing wrong with my brakes... and said it's normal for these types of racing brakes :rolleyes:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
That is a normal symptom of racing brakes (as Mike said) and the solution is a series of hard stops (as Stan said).

On some brake pads, the first thing I would do is a hard stop to warm them up and stop the squeaking.

FWIW, my Porterfield pads don't seem to do this at all on my car.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
fastliz said:
Bottom line: High performance pads = noise.
Not necessarially, my car had the same issue (developed after running Deals Gap, go figure) and it was resolved by 3 good hard stomps from 60-70mph, haven't had any brake squeel since then.. Just brake as much as you can from those speeds without locking them up and without stopping completely (take it down to 10-20mph) a few times and it'll go away. If it doesn't after several attempts then there may be a real problem for the dealer to see to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same conversation with the tech at my 1000 mile service. He related a story about while working at a Ferrari dealership how irritated the customers were when their $15,000 optional racing brakes made so much noise. :tadts:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
TADTS... mine stopped somewhere before 2000 miles...

·
Premium Member
11,750 Posts
Noisy brakes

When my Elan brakes squealed, I just thought of it as my Audible Retardation Alert. It's a safety feature!

My Elise brakes are quiet.

If nothing easier works, remove the pads and chamfer the leading edges slightly.

When replacing the pads, use a touch of anti-seize on appropriate areas. I'm sure someone here has posted on this, so a Search may be in order.

Or, switch brake pads to some others here have recommended, of course.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Shaggy said:
Not necessarially, my car had the same issue (developed after running Deals Gap, go figure) and it was resolved by 3 good hard stomps from 60-70mph, haven't had any brake squeel since then.. Just brake as much as you can from those speeds without locking them up and without stopping completely (take it down to 10-20mph) a few times and it'll go away. If it doesn't after several attempts then there may be a real problem for the dealer to see to.

Ditto. Mine did exactly the same thing. A few hard braking sessions and that was all it took. It never came back.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have Porterfield R4 pads, and they squeak quite a bit. I understand the Porterfield R4-S (street version) are less noisy. As others have said, it may go away if you embed them a bit, but if it doesn't, consider it the price you pay for having a hard compound pad that really works well. Like the rest of the car, they're designed to perform, at the expense of being less pampering.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have been doing the hard braking thing but it hasn't stopped yet, but i hope it will in time?

thanks guys. i understand the whole performance, issue but still?

·
Registered
540 Posts
So naturally after I posted the other day my car has begun groaning again! LOL I suppose I could just stop washing it...after all it's silver! Sure is fun though!!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Mine is starting to do this at 740 miles. I noticed it after a pretty hard weekend run up through the canyons. It is a slight groan and then squeak when coming to a slow crawling stop. Sounds like from the fronts. I will try the hard stop thing! I have also heard that the brakes will makes noises as they break in and might have a factory treatment like a coating that wears off over the first 1000 miles or so?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Brake noise when pulling up to a light is like a fart in the room. Just look innocently around at the other cars as if to say "Who did that?"

I had the brake noise issue and followed the earlier advice on breaking them in. No more noise.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'm a lot more interested in the performance of my breaks than I am about a little bit of noise. I also couldn't give a rats ass what the guy in the SUV next to me thinks about my breaks.

That being said, it is a little bit less annoying if you can get them to be quiet.

xtn

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Like others have said, it goes away. I've had it in the past during the early months of car ownership.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts