The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow LT members;

I have a 2006 Lotus Elise and all of a sudden my car won't start or turn over. All the electrical is fine, i even checked the fuse figuring i might of blown a fuse or two. Immobilizer disabled when i press the immobilizer button on the key fob. But the car will not turn over. I noticed when i press the immobilizer button when the key is in the ignition position the redlight on my dash will stay lit.

I was able to start my car by push starting it (pop the clutch while in a rolling start).

The question is, do i have a immobilizer issue or a starter issue? If i was able to start the car by popping the clutch does this mean my immobilizer is working?

I'm debating whether to do the immobilizer bypass or not.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the immobilizer. It could also be the starter relay which is in the multi-function relay unit. Are you trying to troubleshoot it yourself or are you going to have someone look into it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the immobilizer. It could also be the starter relay which is in the multi-function relay unit. Are you trying to troubleshoot it yourself or are you going to have someone look into it?

Yeah.. trying to figure out where the issue is. It’s funny, when it happened is when I drove it for an hour. I parked for 10 min (went to the store to grab a drink) then headed back out and try to started and it didn’t start.. T-shooter for an hour and later just popped the clutch with a push start and the car started.

Where is the multi function relay located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
If the fuel pump is running, it is really unlikely to be the immobilizer

2 screws to pop the start switch panel.

jump the switch

if it works it is the switch

if not next step

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Where is the multi function relay located?
A multi-function relay unit containing the engine control relay, fuel pump relay and starter relay is mounted in the engine bay near the ECU.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
A similar relay unit is mounted in the front services compartment alongside the fusebox, and operates the a.c. compressor and radiator fans. Important Note: Although the two modules are identical in appearance, their function is different and they must not be transposed.

BTW, I copied and pasted these last two posts straight from the service manual, section MP page 15.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks Jetblast I just read some others issues in swapping them out and see where the bases are different. I'm hoping in replacing mfcu it takes care of a very intermittent cutting out at hwy speed while using AC on very hot days and it looks like the TSB might just be my problem.

In looking at the TSB for my 2006 Elise it is indicating that it is the mfcu dealing with the AC circuit and is located near the front fuse box passenger side. Not the same as the one located in engine bay. Apparently it is arcing during use and causing the ECU to reset and this describes my problem perfectly. It's always hot AC on and midway thru an hour long drive when it burps.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Whenever you release a relay, there is a voltage spike from the field in the coil collapsing. Most relays in semi critical environments have a diode in series or a resistor. Apparently this was not originally done in the Lotus.

The new module solves the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts