The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
how does this happen? went pretty high on the jack and that wedged the jack out from underneath?

Man, I have to be more careful when jacking mine up.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
This is at least a $3,000 job to do it right. Much of the expense and work will be with the paint, as it most likely needs to be blended across a portion of the rear clam, and the door, and not only the rest of the side sill.

The side sills are glued to the car, by the way. They cannot be easily removed or replaced. Very expensive to do that.
False.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Also cost wise... Does this make sense to get insurance involved?
Rob, now would be a great time to fix that small stress crack in the side rear clam as well if you end up going through insurance... just saying, when the car 'fell' off the jack it could have buckled the rear clam & caused that crack to form *wink* *wink* ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Did the same thing a few years ago, only a little worse. A shop in town that specializes in custom work had it done in two days, so I did not have to show up at a track day with a hole. They charged me $700 , but they did already have some paint on hand from some recent work they had done for me.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is at least a $3,000 job to do it right. Much of the expense and work will be with the paint, as it most likely needs to be blended across a portion of the rear clam, and the door, and not only the rest of the side sill.
I think someone needs to ask their body shop for some money back... It's fiberglass, not unobtanium. Seems pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

The side sills are glued to the car, by the way. They cannot be easily removed or replaced. Very expensive to do that.
LOLOLOL

$3,000?! If you are paying someone $3,000 to fix that, it better be with fiberglass made of pure gold!

Also, there is no reason to blend that into the rear clam or the door... especially with that color and location of damage. In my opinion, if you pay $1,000 for that repair, you are getting ripped off. I'd charge someone $500 to fix that and I'd be putting fat money in my pocket even after I account for the material costs. I could easily turn that around in 2 days MAX.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,749 Posts
Well, I have hit a major problem. No reputable body shop will touch my car. I have been told that the hole is too close to the chassis so they can't get any patch behind the repair, so it will just start spider webbing in a year or two.

They all wanted to remove the aluminum strip that is riveted and bonded to the chassis, but obvious they will total the vehicle doing that.

Anyone in the Milwaukee Chicago area know anyone who has repaired or replaced the side sill?

This car really sucks! This isn't the first time people have refused to work on the damn thing...

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Don't even consider replacing the sill, that's completely insane. Where are you located? Near Spring Green at all?

My car came with a hole half that size in the sill. I repaired it myself a year ago, it's super easy.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Well, I have hit a major problem. No reputable body shop will touch my car. I have been told that the hole is too close to the chassis so they can't get any patch behind the repair, so it will just start spider webbing in a year or two.

They all wanted to remove the aluminum strip that is riveted and bonded to the chassis, but obvious they will total the vehicle doing that.

Anyone in the Milwaukee Chicago area know anyone who has repaired or replaced the side sill?

This car really sucks! This isn't the first time people have refused to work on the damn thing...
Pity that body shops these days are just "part replacement shops". :(

Do you have time to work on it yourself? Or do you know anyone who can do quality fibreglas repair? If so repair the damage then have a good body shop paint it.

In terms of the actual repair it isn't that hard and there is no stress in that part so it isn't going to spider web later.
Cut out the damage, making sure to feather the edges and round the corners, insert backing through the hole or from the wheel arch (you will have to make a solid piece for this job which you can bond into place - make a handle on the outside to hold it in place while bonding). Once the backing is in place the hole can be patched as per yellow99s post.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,749 Posts
Don't even consider replacing the sill, that's completely insane. Where are you located? Near Spring Green at all?

My car came with a hole half that size in the sill. I repaired it myself a year ago, it's super easy.
Spring Green is probably 1.5 to 2 hours away from me.

They keep saying that it will spider web if they don't back it all the way.

Here is a better picture...

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
do a google search for boat fiberglass repair. bring it to a shop in your area. they should be able to fix that for about $125. then you will just need to have it painted for another $100 bucks. the boat place should send you to the painter they normally use.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Wow. You guys are crazy. I'd be so pissed if I was getting raped by a body shop like that. It's fiberglass... It's not difficult to fix!

Robert, if you think this car sucks because someone doesn't want to fix it for you... Just watch a YouTube video and learn how to do a fiberglass repair or just don't drive your car. Damage happens, it's not a big deal, it's all part of owning/driving a fragile fiberglass car.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
$3000 is absolute rape. Any body shop that charges you that for a small repair is just taking advantage of you.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
do a google search for boat fiberglass repair. bring it to a shop in your area. they should be able to fix that for about $125. then you will just need to have it painted for another $100 bucks. the boat place should send you to the painter they normally use.
Paint will be more than $100. You can expect to pay about $50 for a half pint of base, $50 for a decent clear, >$50 for misc supplies, and a couple hundred for labor. That's a really rough estimate.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,749 Posts
Pooter - Honestly I have no artistic ability in my body. I couldn't make a decent fiberglass repair if I tried! I would never be able to smooth out the bondo so that you wouldn't notice and I know I couldn't match the paint correctly. Plus I don't have the equipment or space to do it.

As far as cost is concerned I could care less. That is what insurance is for. What I am concerned about is getting a quality repair.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts