The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an Elise board, so I risk getting flamed. But, I've been here a while, posted a bit, and I think this board can be very helpful.

I'm on the list for an Elise, July 2005 delivery. Expected cost with the touring and sport pack plus increase in MSRP about $46K. Im looking for a street legal track car and fair weather fun car. It will complement my C4S on the short track and autocross. Plus, it will get the wife into track events, since she is too afraid she'll do something horrible to the C4S.

So, here I am, patiently waiting for July 2005, when PCNA e-mails me the ad for the 2006 Boxster available January 2005. I think the car is drop-dead GORGEOUS. Looks like a mini Carrera GT with the new front end. Plus, better performance promised, more HP and torque, available PASM/Sport chrono or whatever that package will be called. It's more money, how much I don't know yet, but I am seriously tempted.

Put yourself in my shoes. What would you do?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Palting said:
Put yourself in my shoes. What would you do?
Do what your heart tells you to do. Or even better, do what your wife tells you to do! :p Personally, I'd take the Elise over the Boxster. But I am not a Porsche fan.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Compared to the Elise, the Boxster is a luxury sedan. The Elise is as close as you'll get to a street legal track car. Boxsters handle well, but not compared to a sub 2000 lb Elise.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Which would your wife rather drive? At this point if I could afford it I would rather have the Boxster S with the chrono deal.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
C4S is an awesome GT, Boxter is a great sports car, Elise is an awesome sports car. I would go with what the wife is happier if she is really going to drive the new car a lot but if you are just "hoping" she is going to drive it on track days ( she may never like it, some people just don't like it no matter how much we want them to!) than wait for the Elise. The Boxster will never feel as different from the C4S as the Elise certainly will.
Tough choices you have ahead Grasshopper! but I'm sure most people would envy having dilemmas like this one.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
My votes is for the Elise ONLY becaused you said you would be keeping your C4S and wanted a street legal track car. The Elise fulfills those requirements better than the 987.

If you were in a situation were you needed a daily driver and would not be keeping the C4S, then I'd say the Boxster may be a better choice.

But I have to admit, I'm a bit drawn to the 987...even though I couldn't wait for my '99 Boxster's lease to end.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Have you driven both cars? I drove a base model Boxster and thought it didn't have enough power but the S model probably takes care of that issue. The boxster is a very different car. It's much softer, much more luxurious and much less involving. It is a whole lot more practical and better suited for traveling long distances, however.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Since this concerns * she who must be obeyed*, I would get the porker.
She admits to a lack of confidence.... Porsche caters to a broader spectrum of driver ability and can do so as it is a high volume manufacturer compared to Lotus. This has the liability downside so the car has to be diluted so that that there are fewer lawsuits from *tools*. porsche have been burned many times before.

Lotus are attempting to market a narrow purpose vehicle which has also been compromised (see topgear 111s Vid)
but not nearly to the degree of the porkers.

So your spouse may be more likely(judging by her degree of confidence) to stuff the Elise which will be more difficult to drive as hard(requires an adaptive nut behind the wheel).

But then, the Elise will be cheaper than the Porker if either is stuffed by either of you.:shrug:

If she wants to learn HOW to drive of her own FREE will.... Elise.

If she's doing track because you and the Joneses do... Porker.

maybe you could buy both.:)
m.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
elise vs boxster

I haven't been in a new boxster but I've driven a 1st gen and have put 1500 miles on my Elise. I say, get the Elise. Not that the Boxster isn't an awesome car (it made me want a mid engine car) but the Elise is just SO connected you can't help but laugh your way where ever you go.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
If she's "affraid of what the C4S" would do she might feel the same toward the Elise. Has she driven the Elise? If no, a test drive in one might easily answer the question.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input, everyone. You've all helped me make a list of pros and cons for each car. My wife and I have test driven the Fed Elise, but have only driven the 1st gen Boxster.

I have time. I really don't want either car before spring 2005. It'll give me a chance to eyeball and test drive the new Boxster S. It will also give time to find out what the "real world" price for either car is going to be.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As a Porsche nut myself- I went through the same thing.
I had an 1989 911 for 5 years and wanted another sports car with more performance. I drove the boxter S, great daily drive. the car had less feel than my old 911. It was a disconected driving feeling. I needed that old 911 feeling with more power.
So, I now have 991 miles on my new Elise. Its the best. Pure driving- No power crap, no cup holders, or nav systems. I also felt the Porsche had lost its direction- SUV's and their lack of a factory racing program. Porsche is after the Mercedes buyer.
The ELISE is after the old 911 buyer.
Once you drive it, you will remember.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ahh, the rapturous air cooled 911s! Just back from the first day of a two-day Driver's Education event hosted by The Driver's Edge at Motorsport Ranch, just 15 miles South of Fort Worth. My 1987 911 is the late ancestor of the Elise. No power steering, no power brakes, no air bags, no "nannies," just pure feel, pure sensation, and dynamic communicatino that lets you know right away if you have blundered.

This is my third DE event at this course. I am getting faster, thankfully, but it was not until my instructor took me around in my own car that I realized that I am maybe getting just 50% or so out of this wonderful car's potential. My experience in driving an Elsie with LSS and Stage 1 exhaust reminds me so much of my 911. Full of character and a demanding taskmaster. I often wonder why I am selling the 911 when it is so very similar to the Elise (and a classic, too). Then the "maintenance" expenses hit and the question is answered in a hearbeat. Still, all at the PCA and the other car clubs represented at this DE are drooling over the thought of an Elise in action. This weekend reminds me, though that bone stock the Elise will be a much better car than I am a driver for many seasons to come.

I cant' wait to have everyone get over the "modding" insanity and just learn to drive the %&$*% things at their limits.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I'll give you a killer deal on a 2004 Boxster S... Call me (510) 525-1617 or (510)502-0172 I ship them all over the country. In the last three weeks I shipped a Carrera GT to Wisconsin and a Cayenne to Oregon.. I still look at the Boxster every day at work and wonder if I'm doing the right thing.. Yesterday I sold a 2003 Turbo Coupe and today I sold a 2005 Carrera S, good week!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Perry. But it's the 05/06 Boxster I'm interested in comparing the Elise to.

The new Federal Elise seem to be more neutral than the older 911's. Quite a bit harder to make the back end step out. And when it does, more predictable and controllable. Still, it seems certainly more tossable than my 996 C4S. Unfortunately, the test drive I had was at public roads. I'd love to test drive one at a race track.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since you already have a Porsche...

Get the Lotus...

Its really in a different league than the porsche...

Drive one if you can and you'll see theres no comparision..(and the boxster is a nice car too ...don't misunderstand me but the lotus is awesome)

JMO

·
Registered
42 Posts
Edit..if the car is for your wife then get what she wants..

"she who must be obeyed" rotfl

Everyone should drive what they like ...IMHO...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
911EATER said:
I had an 1989 911 for 5 years and wanted another sports car with more performance. I drove the boxter S, great daily drive. the car had less feel than my old 911. It was a disconected driving feeling. I needed that old 911 feeling with more power.
So, I now have 991 miles on my new Elise. Its the best. Pure driving- No power crap, no cup holders, or nav systems. I also felt the Porsche had lost its direction- SUV's and their lack of a factory racing program. Porsche is after the Mercedes buyer.
I couldn't agree more! Not sure about a compliment to your C4S as the Elise will out perform it in almost every way. My Boxster will stay with me as it is a great touring car. Porsche only makes one "sports" car now and that is the GT3. All the rest look nice but are no longer "drivers" cars. PSM sucks. The Elise however is a strett legal race car. This is the difference a lot of people don't seem to get. There are no luxuries, driver enjoyment is the cars sole aim.
To put this in context , I have owned Porsche cars for the last 18years. Unless some one gives me some cash I can't afford the GT3. I now wish I had placed 2 deposits for the Elise! I just hope the Exige makes it to our shores.

·
Registered
284 Posts
911EATER said:
I totally agree with you.
I've owned a 911S and 911SC and I love it. The newer Porsche is just a total different breed.

IMO. In order for Porsche to make revenue they must build a car that meet most people expectation. Which mean it should have all the luxuries and elec. control etc. I just think the 997 look more like a Cayenne sedan.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts