The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just bought this car and upon washing it after I got home I realized that the front right grill piece was only being held in by TAPE!:crazyeyes

So I fiddled with it after knocking it out of place with the sponge glove, and got it back into a position that it would not fall out. Well, today when I got home I gave the car a once over for bird **** and anything else I need to wash off my paint and noticed the grill piece down inside the bumper :(

I pulled it out to notice the little slit the bottom piece sits in is broken off. My question is, can I fix this myself some how, or should I just take it to a body shop? Has anyone replaced the fin type grills with only black mesh? I dont see any photos, and what I have found on elise parts looks to be for the older euro elise.

tensecfd3s/Lotus - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thanks in advance for any responses!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
if you have the broken piece......... 5 min epoxy !

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish!

if you have the broken piece......... 5 min epoxy !

Well, It must have fallen out while driving home =( I also have no clips or screws that originally held it in place.

Any ideas on how much a shop might charge for this to be repaired?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Lotus Garage - 04 Grille, front intake, RH G117B0118F 1

According to the book, the front clam has to be removed to replace either of the side grills. There's no access to the head of the screw that retains the grill with the bodywork on the car. When I lost my left side grill, I found instructions on this site for drilling an access hole in the bottom of the turn signal bucket so I could tighten the screw with the body on.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lotus Garage - 04 Grille, front intake, RH G117B0118F 1

According to the book, the front clam has to be removed to replace either of the side grills. There's no access to the head of the screw that retains the grill with the bodywork on the car. When I lost my left side grill, I found instructions on this site for drilling an access hole in the bottom of the turn signal bucket so I could tighten the screw with the body on.
Well, seeing that you would rather drill a hole than take the clam off.....im guessing its a big PITA.

Since the fiberglass is broken off, i think im going to just goto a body shop and get a quote for fixing that, and also replacing the fins with a mesh. (if it looks good against it)

·
Registered
907 Posts
For the right front grill you only need to take the clam off on the dual oil-cooler cars. If you don't have dual oil-coolers you can access the top screw for the grill if you pop out the turn signal lamp from the clam.

The grill is only held in place by a screw at the top. In your situation I would recommend taking a rubber grommet and stretching it around the bottom prong (1st pic) which will hold itself to the clam (2nd pic). The Lotus dealer near the factory in Norfolk recommended this to me when I was complaining of a loose grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
You dont need too remove the clam. I have taken mine off and replaced them several times by removing the front grill. then pop out blinker. You can access the screw with your hand in the cavity of the removed blinker. That is if you dont have oversized hands.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
little off topic here, but it looks like you have 4-point belts in your car that are not installed correctly....(unless im seeing things in the 2 pics that you can see in your car...)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the right front grill you only need to take the clam off on the dual oil-cooler cars. If you don't have dual oil-coolers you can access the top screw for the grill if you pop out the turn signal lamp from the clam.

The grill is only held in place by a screw at the top. In your situation I would recommend taking a rubber grommet and stretching it around the bottom prong (1st pic) which will hold itself to the clam (2nd pic). The Lotus dealer near the factory in Norfolk recommended this to me when I was complaining of a loose grill.
Hmm, a rubber grommet will be sufficient even with that piece on the bumper broken out?

Ill stop by a parts store, lowes and what not and see what I can find. This would be GREAT if it worked out! Thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have popped my turn signal and get nowhere near the screw on the grill. Methinks Chococar's is the only way.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
looks like it is going over the top of the seat to me..didnt see anything backwards, looks like the ASM belt in on the "in" side which is correct unless im missing something else..
Yeah, you're right. I thought that was the passenger belt I was seeing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts