The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My 06 Exige with an aftermarket BWR supercharger suddenly began making noises like it has rocks tumbling around inside it. The performance is not affected. I’ve done some research and this seems to be a common issue with superchargers with age (and relatively a quick and cheap fix), but none of them pertained to BWR superchargers. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone that has experienced this and resolved the issue could share some insight. Thanks in advance.

Justin

·
Administrator
1,535 Posts
Can you record some video and post so we can hear?

·
Administrator
1,535 Posts
Yeah sounds like time to pull it

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,138 Posts
TURN OFF THE ENGINE! PM me and we can talk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, stop running the car. You don't want something to break and get sucked into the engine.

I had an MP62 on my 2011 Miata and it developed this sound or similar. Ended up being the supercharger bearing going bad.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had something like this a few years ago. I doubt its the SC. In my case, it was the intercooler. Somehow something got into the air intake and it sounded like marbles inside. I had to replace my IC. I replaced it with a Forge which, I just happen to be replacing now (not because there is anything wrong with it, I just need more cooling in the hot TX heat). If you can determine that that is the problem and am interested in mine, please PM me.

Scott

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,138 Posts
I spoke to Justin, super cool guy. Hopefully its the supercharger and not something in the engine...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The support here is amazing. Thanks so much Kubera for staying on the phone with me. I will for sure be taking my car to you to do everything you mentioned. Thanks everyone else who took the time to share their thoughts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had something like this a few years ago. I doubt its the SC. In my case, it was the intercooler. Somehow something got into the air intake and it sounded like marbles inside. I had to replace my IC. I replaced it with a Forge which, I just happen to be replacing now (not because there is anything wrong with it, I just need more cooling in the hot TX heat). If you can determine that that is the problem and am interested in mine, please PM me.

Thanks, Scott. My car doesn’t have an intercooler...

Scott

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, stop running the car. You don't want something to break and get sucked into the engine.

I had an MP62 on my 2011 Miata and it developed this sound or similar. Ended up being the supercharger bearing going bad.
I’ve been told there’s a good chance that’s the issue. We shall see...

·
Vendor
3,269 Posts
My guess would be something in IC or worn SC coupler. The later is a pretty quick fix once blower is off. I would probably send it off to magnusson or PSE to get it rebuilt just cuz.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BWR SCs are made by Harrop and not Eaton. I should call Highspeedlab to see if they work on SCs from other manufacturers. Thanks guys. I hope it’s just the coupler.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Im confused, I thought that the orignial BWR superchargers were MP62 based? Are you talking about the Rev 300-400 kits that BWR sells now? Or were there TVS based BWR kits I didnt know about?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im confused, I thought that the orignial BWR superchargers were MP62 based? Are you talking about the Rev 300-400 kits that BWR sells now? Or were there TVS based BWR kits I didnt know about?
That's based on what my mechanic told me. BWR SCs were made by BOE which were made by Harrop so I am trying to source parts directly from there. Am I completely off?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Once upon a time BWR sold a kit based on a mp62 im pretty sure. Now they just resell BOE suoerchargers that are TVS based.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts