The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, im on my way out to a meet, and i went to check my oil. however i cant open the trunk with the key.. nor does the "other" trick work... if feels like there is no connection between the lock and the latch. help. how do i get it open...

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Do you feel a (greater than normal) resistance to the key turning?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, when i turn it i do not get any resistance. no click like normal.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the spring in the lock springs my key back to straight, but outside of that, nothing

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i try the"other" way to get it, i pull the tab, and it feels like it is not connected to anything. moves back and forth free. loose.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any thoughts on how to open the lid?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any tech guys out there with a thought? even if i removed the rear panel and unscrew the 4 bolts on the front part of the lid, i still cant take the lid off as its still locked to the bar...

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Might sound simple, but try pushing down on the lid while you turn the key. Push near the lock.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
A similar thing happened to a guy yesterday at PIR.
We all showed up in the morning, unloading our cars to get ready for tech inspection.
He was parked next to me and could not open his trunk.
He had a cooler in there which was a little too tall, and that caused the lock to stick.

But in his case the lock didn't turn (clockwise) at all. It was completely solid.
He was able to turn it 1/4 turn counterclockwise, but that didn't do anything.

He tried pretty much everything to a point where I thought the trunk lid is going to break from pulling and pushing on it.

At the end he ran out to the dealership. They had one big guy pushing the lid down in the area of the lock while at the same time a second guy was turning the key, and they were finally able to get it to open this way.

I'm not sure if that works in your case since the situation you describe sounds a little different :shrug:
But I thought I share and hopefully it helps...

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might sound simple, but try pushing down on the lid while you turn the key. Push near the lock.
tried that. pushed, pulled, wiggled. i pulled up on the rear vents to try and reach the lock. with the vents up i can touch stuff, but cant feel anything that will release the latch.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A similar thing happened to a guy yesterday at PIR.
We all showed up in the morning, unloading our cars to get ready for tech inspection.
He was parked next to me and could not open his trunk.
He had a cooler in there which was a little too tall, and that caused the lock to stick.

But in his case the lock didn't turn (clockwise) at all. It was completely solid.
He was able to turn it 1/4 turn counterclockwise, but that didn't do anything.

He tried pretty much everything to a point where I thought the trunk lid is going to break from pulling and pushing on it.

At the end he ran out to the dealership. They had one big guy pushing the lid down in the area of the lock while at the same time a second guy was turning the key, and they were finally able to get it to open this way.

I'm not sure if that works in your case since the situation you describe sounds a little different :shrug:
But I thought I share and hopefully it helps...
thankyou for your thoughts. there is plenty of play vertically with the lid.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
tried that. pushed, pulled, wiggled. i pulled up on the rear vents to try and reach the lock. with the vents up i can touch stuff, but cant feel anything that will release the latch.
That sounds exactly like what that guy did.
He also stuck his hand in thru the vents and almost broke them.
But there is no way to get to the lock from there because the release is in the trunk, not in the engine bay.

From what he told me after he came back to the track from the dealership only pushing hard (but steadily - like leaning onto it - not jerking) and simultaneously turning the key did the trick.
Do you have someone there to help you?
It sonds like this is easier when one guy pushes on the lid while the other one turns the key.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
azskycop, thankyou for the pm, will go and try it.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
thankyou for your thoughts. there is plenty of play vertically with the lid.
That was the odd part because his lid also had plenty of vertical play...
I tried helping him, and it didn't feel at all as if there was something pushing it up from the inside.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i can get the 10mm socket on, but no room to put on a ratchet, let alone to move the ratchet.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my trunk is empty..

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
still no luck

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Sounds like what happened to a former Elise owner. I'll see if I can contact him, but we've lost touch since he sold his car.

He was wonder what would happen if he pulled the emergency release. He pulled it and thought by reclosing the lid that it would snap the lock back in place. It didn't and was in the same situation that you find yourself in now.

I don't remember what his solution was. :(

There was a solution from the dealer, but I'm guessing that everyone is closed for the holiday weekend. I do remember that he did not have to ruin the lock or lid. So don't do anything desperate. At least not yet.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like what happened to a former Elise owner. I'll see if I can contact him, but we've lost touch since he sold his car.

He was wonder what would happen if he pulled the emergency release. He pulled it and thought by reclosing the lid that it would snap the lock back in place. It didn't and was in the same situation that you find yourself in now.

I don't remember what his solution was. :(

There was a solution from the dealer, but I'm guessing that everyone is closed for the holiday weekend. I do remember that he did not have to ruin the lock or lid. So don't do anything desperate. At least not yet.

Wish me luck.
thats what it seems like. would love to know what he did...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts