The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try and start the car it just clicks. I have put the battery tender on the car overnight and it shows the battery as charged. All the elctrics work and I can lock/unlock the car with the fob.

I have tried jump starting the car and that doesn't work. Any ideas? Fuse? Starter?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Do a search for "inertia switch".

Once you know where it is located (bottom left hand side of engine bay), it's a 5 second job to reset.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Do you have a way to jump the battery?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have reset the inertia switch and still nothing. I have tried jump starting it and I get the same result.

I am going to check the fuses and replace the battery. If that doesn't do it then I am going to video what happens when I try and start it.

Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Remove the cables from the battery, wait a minture, put 'em back on. That may reset the ecu and allow you to start it.

Tom

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
A few suggestions:

If you hear a clicking noise, it means voltage is getting through to the solenoid. But there may not be enough voltage to spin the starter. So start with the battery and cables.

Are the battery cables clean and tight? Be sure to check both ends. Are the other electrical connections at the solenoid and starter clean and tight? It doesn’t take much corrosion to choke off the flow of amps to the starter.

Next, check the wiring connections on the solenoid and starter. Are they clean and tight? Also check the solenoid ground connection or its mounting. Rust or corrosion here can interfere with the flow of amps, too.

Try bypassing the solenoid to see if the starter spins. If it spins, the problem is excessive resistance in the solenoid. Replace the solenoid. If the starter doesn’t spin, or turns very slowly, however, the starter is dragging and needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! The suggestions were right on.

I checked everything listed and decided it had to be a bad battery even though I put the tender on it overnight. Well it was. The battery was bad. I happen to have a Miata battery from a car I am parting out so I put it on the tender when I first woke up this morning. I just took it off the tender and it was able to start the car just fine.

I apologize for the panic attack, but the nearest dealership is 6 hours away from me. I am pretty handy with cars, but I am SOL if it is an electrical issue or a bad ECU.

Even though all the electrical worked and the battery was tendered overnight the troubleshooting tips in this thread allowed me to eliminate things and determine it was the battery that I thought was good!

THANKS!!

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Thanks everyone! The suggestions were right on.

I checked everything listed and decided it had to be a bad battery even though I put the tender on it overnight. Well it was. The battery was bad. I happen to have a Miata battery from a car I am parting out so I put it on the tender when I first woke up this morning. I just took it off the tender and it was able to start the car just fine.

I apologize for the panic attack, but the nearest dealership is 6 hours away from me. I am pretty handy with cars, but I am SOL if it is an electrical issue or a bad ECU.

Even though all the electrical worked and the battery was tendered overnight the troubleshooting tips in this thread allowed me to eliminate things and determine it was the battery that I thought was good!

THANKS!!
This is something to remember with battery tenders and automatic battery chargers. When trying to charge a sulfated battery or one with a dead cell, the indicator on the charger will show that the battery is fully charged. The fully charged status is sensed by the charger when the charging current to the battery gets low enough and the charger goes into float mode. Normally this means the battery is fully charged, but a bad battery will refuse to accept a charge and cause the same resistance to a charge current. The charger will go into float mode and the fully charged light will go on even though the battery is still not charged and not capable of being charged.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
a voltmeter, and one of those things ( i forget the name maybe a hydrometer?) that has the balls that float to test specific gravity can tell the condition of each cell.
$25 for both items; it is a good investment.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
a voltmeter, and one of those things ( i forget the name maybe a hydrometer?) that has the balls that float to test specific gravity can tell the condition of each cell.
$25 for both items; it is a good investment.
+1 for the voltmeter and a hydrometer.

Also a battery load tester can instantly tell you if the battery has lost its cranking ablility. This is especially helpful when you are dealing with a sealed battery and can't get at the electrolyte with a hydrometer..

·
Registered
894 Posts
If you live in Canada, verify the clutch pedal switch, switch arm bent, or broken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts