The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today, I installed my new CF front splitter and Reverie CF side scoops. Looks sick. Unfortunately, 'rivets' are no match for 'wind' once you break 100MPH.

Amazingly neither the car nor the splitter are worse for wear. I had three bolts at the back of the splitter that never let free, but the rivets near the front edge just pulled right out. Fortunately I had put a piece of door trim along the bottom edge, so that sacrificed itself to the road rash. I guess it's better it happened today than on the track.

Regardless, how should I reinstall? There are enough of these splitters out there that I'm hoping *someone* can tell me where you placed nuts/bolts/washers onto the front edge without removing the clam. Pictures would be great as well.

And yes, in hindsight I should have known better. Live and learn.

THANK YOU.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I put M5 Rivnuts into the front clam and added fender washers above the fiberglass to spread the load. Then I added washers under the splitter. The bolts match the undertray bolts and with the washer sandwich nothing will pull it off.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Wow

I used self tapping button head screws like this, but not a long and even fatter head.

You mentioned not having to remove clam? You can just take the front grill out in a matter of seconds and get to most of the front edge. Hope this helps

:UK:

Attachments

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I used self tapping button head screws like this, but not a long and even fatter head.

You mentioned not having to remove clam? You can just take the front grill out in a matter of seconds and get to most of the front edge. Hope this helps

:UK:
Went all out and bought some sheet metal screws? I guess it could be worse, you could have used wood screws.

San

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Plenty of M6 screws and big fender washers.
Plus I fabricated aluminum panels to spread the load inside the clam.
Self tapping screws might be good to hang a picture on the wall in your home, but certainly not to mount a splitter onto a fiber glass clam :no:

CIMG4225.jpg

CIMG4228.jpg

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Self tapping screws might be good to hang a picture on the wall in your home, but certainly not to mount a splitter onto a fiber glass clam :no:
Actually they're not even good for hanging pictures, unless your walls are made of sheet metal.

Your pics show the proper type of fasteners, plenty of fastener points and going the extra mile (kilometer for your location) to further spread the weight across entire area. Thanks for posting. The OP now has an idea of how to properly mount a splitter.

San

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts

View attachment 374745

View attachment 374753
that's the stuff. Impressive Mr.C.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Mr C has the right idea!! do not use rivets or self tapping screws or you will cause serious damage if the splitter comes off, the clam is too thin to hold such stress, you need a washer, bolt, washer and nut.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What is someone's *experienced* opinion on nylon nuts, bolts & washers. I have seem them on everything from Camaros to miatas with a small front splitter like this. My main concern, since I drive my Elise daily, is ripping part of the front clam off with the splitter if something happened. Everything I have read say the nylon sheers away and sacrifices the splitter, which would be ideal.

·
Registered
956 Posts
10X M6 Bolts/Fender Washers/Nuts

Use the existing 3X M6 bolts that hold the front edge of the undertray. Drill new holes for the 7 additional. Drill as close to front edge as you can while still allowing room for washers.

There's probably a dozen threads on this already.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nylon is fine. I have used for splitters and stuff and we even used to use them for explosion proof doors at a fab shop where I worked, always held up fine and makes a good 'fuse'.

On a side note, you can use rivets if you put either a fender washer or a piece of aluminum sheet metal on the other side of the clam for the rivet to seat into.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Nylon is fine. I have used for splitters and stuff and we even used to use them for explosion proof doors at a fab shop where I worked, always held up fine and makes a good 'fuse'.

On a side note, you can use rivets if you put either a fender washer or a piece of aluminum sheet metal on the other side of the clam for the rivet to seat into.
Nylon it is! I will make sure to use enough. Not sure on the best length of bolt to use, but knowing to use some M6's help.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
What is someone's *experienced* opinion on nylon nuts, bolts & washers. I have seem them on everything from Camaros to miatas with a small front splitter like this. My main concern, since I drive my Elise daily, is ripping part of the front clam off with the splitter if something happened. Everything I have read say the nylon sheers away and sacrifices the splitter, which would be ideal.
that is what and why I mounted mine this way.

So far so good

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Nylon it is! I will make sure to use enough. Not sure on the best length of bolt to use, but knowing to use some M6's help.
Buy a couple pf different length bolts and try what works best.
I think I bought 30mm, 35mm and 40mm IIRC.
Make sure to evaluate closely where you place the bolts because you have the oil cooler line crossing over in the front inside the clam and you don't want to have the tip of the bolt rubbing against the line.
And also make sure the bolts are in spots where you can get the washer / nut on from inside the clam.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nice Mr.C

I like the amount of thought that went into some of your installs for the front CF lip. I've had mine on for 6-7yrs and no issues, so to each their own.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts