The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear this strange noise coming form the somewhere around the car when I pull out of a parking spot. It's very odd and I can't pinpoint where it's coming from (other than it sounds louder w/ the windows down). It clicks like 1-3 times and everything's normal again. It only happens when I've parked the car for more than 2 hours or so. I can also feel the click on the steering column (i think). Someone please help.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Can you try to better locate the area where the click is coming from?

It has something to do with the steering or the front tires?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha, unfortunately, it's neither of the two, though that red dress does match the color of my car.

That steering clunk is an accurate description, however, there is no noise after that initial pull out of my driveway. It's very weird, is there something that happens as soon as I put it in first and driving after having the car sit for a few hours (as opposed to putting it in first and driving after a stop light.)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cold car?
My Elise drives differently when cold...
I hope you figure it out!
I've ruled that one out because it started happening last week. I thought it was just me but it happens everytime i start to pull out of a parking spot. Very weird, and I know for sure I haven't driven over anything I haven't driven over already.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Maybe the brake pads get stuck to the rotor :shrug:
Happens to me when I wash the car and park it in the garage without
driving around the block to get the brakes to dry first.
The clunk on my car comes from the pads breaking free.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
+1

I get a click the first time I reverse after driving for a while... it sounds like the brake pad dragging slightly on the rotor and moving back and forth slightly.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
That also came to mind. But he never said that he washed his car. I suppose if the environment were moist enough...:shrug:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yep +2, happens to me most mornings when I back out of the driveway

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you guys are good, I was just about to post this response after speaking with Dave Kennedy (prev. owner). It does seem like a very logical scenario and I think that's the issue. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Same problem. Came from brake pads. At first I thought a little kid put a card in the wheels to make the sound we all used to do as little kids to our bikes.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I pull mine out the garage by pushing it out. (mostly be cause the garage is so tight, but also because I need to shut the garage door afterwards.)

I would suggest that doing this with the engine off should help you to better locate the sound.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, i'll definitely try if i can pin point it outside the garage.

As far as the wheel goes, it's usually slightly left of right but never close to lock. However the noise does occur when the wheel is straight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts