The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was helping me install Powerflex inserts and I asked him to use a level to jiggle the engine to get the mounting holes to line up. When the job was done and I went to start the engine I found the clutch had failed. He had levered against the clutch mechanism and broke something - fluid was leaking and it looked like something was disconnected. From this photo can someone help identify what needs to be replaced. I am hoping it can be done without a major engine removal job!

I hope the news isn't too bad.
Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks like the clutch slave cylinder is messed up, will need to get a new one :( I don't think you will need to remove the engine

·
Registered
846 Posts
the piston's just popped out of the cylinder. If the piston seal's not torn you should be able to put it back together.
Pull the slave, then re-install the seal and the piston.
You'll need to bleed it, if it doesn't leak you're good to go.

·
Such Administrating
6,856 Posts
the piston's just popped out of the cylinder. If the piston seal's not torn you should be able to put it back together.
Pull the slave, then re-install the seal and the piston.
You'll need to bleed it, if it doesn't leak you're good to go.
this.

You should be able to fix it. Just make sure after you reinstall it, its bled completely. Be careful when you are putting the rod back into the slave, make sure you have the spot where the line goes in pointed in a bucket, or something similar because the pressure from pushing it back in will cause any fluid left in the cylinder to squirt out everywhere.

·
Registered
2005 StormTi 200000+ miles
162 Posts
I concur with the above, if you put everything back in the right place you may be just fine.

If not, that slave cylinder isn't too big of a problem.

Learning is about screwing up sometimes :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. I pulled the slave, reassembled it, put it back and after bleeding it the clutch works!! New problem: it now has a loud squeak/creaking noise when I use the clutch. I put grease on the end of the rod where it engages the shoe but no change. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions?
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts