The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two years (22k miles now), found the engine coolant level gradually went down from MAX to the MIN in the jar. Is this normal? Where did the coolant go? How do I further check or should I bring my car to dealer? Does the same thing happen to your car? There is no sign of leaking in my car.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Elise1204 said:
After two years (22k miles now), found the engine coolant level gradually went down from MAX to the MIN in the jar. Is this normal? Where did the coolant go? How do I further check or should I bring my car to dealer? Does the same thing happen to your car? There is no sign of leaking in my car.

Thanks
Mine has actually been dropping from Max to Min about every 5000 miles. I haven't found a leak.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You should not be losing coolant. Make sure to have your cooling system checked for leaks. If your head gasket is blown then you should notice oil in the coolant and/or coolant in the oil (a bit like a chocolate milkshake...). Blown head gasket generally also results in white smoke out the exhaust and rising engine temperatures. Head gasket would not be my first guess.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Mine too seems to have a VERY small leak. Not sure where. The level drop is ever so slight over a few months.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Elise1204 said:

Thanks
That's normal in any car. Engine coolant evaporated, just add water. Actually, you have been driven for 2 years. It's time to flush engine coolant as is recommended.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
climb4fun said:
That's normal in any car. Engine coolant evaporated, just add water. Actually, you have been driven for 2 years. It's time to flush engine coolant as is recommended.
And don't forget to open up the hose to the
radiator so as to get out the approximately
3 liters of fluid that would otherwise remain
if you just drain the block. The total in the
system is 6 liters...and that's what you should
be 'shooting for' with regard to draining the whole
system.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
climb4fun said:
Not quite... The Elise had 5 year "long life coolant" in the system. None of us should be needing to drain and flush it yet...

·
Registered
557 Posts
:tadts: No leaks. It likes to stay at Min. I just top it off occasionally but it works its way down to Min and stays there. Ive seen this on at least 2 other Elise.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
I had this problem.

On many of the Lotus Elise cars built, the radiator hose was put on wrong, as was mine.

It may be nothing, but it is a known problem.

GET TO YOUR MECHANIC ASAP.

He'll fix it under warranty. Don't wait for it to fix itself. It won't. It can get worse. :(

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I can tell you two of our LOONYs had the same issue. Both were loose clamps up at the radiator. I am sure Merlin will chime in...but keep an eye on you front wheels. The coolant took the finish off of Merlins...

·
Registered
557 Posts
tvacc said:
I can tell you two of our LOONYs had the same issue. Both were loose clamps up at the radiator. I am sure Merlin will chime in...but keep an eye on you front wheels. The coolant took the finish off of Merlins...

woah! going to check now!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You may have your dealership to do a pressure test on the coolant system, it may be the only way to detect a small leak.

But good luck in the mean time.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
cheech51288 said:
You may have your dealership to do a pressure test on the coolant system, it may be the only way to detect a small leak.
You can always get your own cooling system tester.

I've had this one for many years: http://www.stant.com/index.cfm?location_id=183

Most any auto parts store can order them, or you can find then on line. It fits the standard size caps/systems, and you can get adapters that allow you to connect it to different sizes. I think I paid about $70 for my tester, and around $10 for my adapter for my Honda (which uses the smaller caps).

To use it, you remove the radiator cap, install the cap from the tester (or adapter) and use the built in pump to pressurize the cooling system. Any leaks that happen after the system is pressurized will usually show up when the tester is used.

You would be surprised how many shops do not have such a tester, so are unable to find cooling system leaks...

·
Registered
46 Posts
TimMullen said:
You can always get your own cooling system tester.

I've had this one for many years: http://www.stant.com/index.cfm?location_id=183

Most any auto parts store can order them, or you can find then on line. It fits the standard size caps/systems, and you can get adapters that allow you to connect it to different sizes. I think I paid about $70 for my tester, and around $10 for my adapter for my Honda (which uses the smaller caps).

To use it, you remove the radiator cap, install the cap from the tester (or adapter) and use the built in pump to pressurize the cooling system. Any leaks that happen after the system is pressurized will usually show up when the tester is used.

You would be surprised how many shops do not have such a tester, so are unable to find cooling system leaks...
True, never thought of that. I do work in a shop, so i just use ours.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Newbies. Take the car in to the Lotus mechanic if you suspect something. Let THEM fix it for free correctly. :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts