The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped the Elise off with a lotus mechanic that probably knows more than all of us, but I’m always interested to hear what forum members think. Took the car out this morning and all was well until about 15 minutes into the drive and the car just died at a stoplight.. I go to turn it back on and it turns over, but dies less than 5 seconds later.. does this 5 or so more times as I try to restart and I give up, managing to get it to a parking lot and let it sit for a few hours while I wait for a tow.. after sitting for a couple of hours it starts up and stays on, but the revs drop below 1k, then bump up above 1k, below 1k, above 1k again etc. over and over just trying to stay running..

any thoughts?

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts
Without pulling codes with obd reader it's a crap shoot with so little known. I agree with TechnoHippie but with car out of your hands it's all a guessing game.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Oof, could be a lot of things.

Hunting idle would point me to vacuum leak first. Look for perished hoses.

How old is the car?

Fuel supply would be second stop.

Next stop electrical issues but they seldom cause hunting.

Good luck! This forum has a lot of great people with tons of experience. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am sure there are enough posts on how rotten the glue gets inside the tanks.
Likely becoming a must do, drop tank. Clean as best as possible. Seal with POR or the like tank sealant.
Fuel pumps quitting won't give check engine light.
Cant recall if you said the light illuminated or not.
Crank, cam sensor would have triggered the light.
Did you just fill up the tank?

Oh, and your symptoms are exactly fuel pump. Pumps pull enough fuel from vacuum for idle.
Order a new top hat from Toyota, and be ready for the mechanic (master-god-whatever) to point out the sediment in the tank. Which if he/she/it/they are that good. They won't just replace the pump. They will insist on a new tank, or the POR.

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts
I just dropped the Elise off with a lotus mechanic that probably knows more than all of us, but I’m always interested to hear what forum members think. Took the car out this morning and all was well until about 15 minutes into the drive and the car just died at a stoplight.. I go to turn it back on and it turns over, but dies less than 5 seconds later.. does this 5 or so more times as I try to restart and I give up, managing to get it to a parking lot and let it sit for a few hours while I wait for a tow.. after sitting for a couple of hours it starts up and stays on, but the revs drop below 1k, then bump up above 1k, below 1k, above 1k again etc. over and over just trying to stay running..

any thoughts?
How often had you been driving the car? Had it sat for a while and you just took it out when this started?

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts
i get her out once a week
Well time will tell now that it's out of your hands. Hopefully you won't go thru the dealer headache that TechnoHippie has. Once it's out of members hands giving advice and not being able to follow up on each piece is sort of like throwing darts.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,894 Posts
One of the more common culprits, and would have been a good lesson to track it down yourself and replace so you can get a feel for how simple some of the fixes are. $120 unit, 5 mins to replace.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts