The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I am new to this forum. Love my evora. Just got it last night. However. This afternoon. When a passenger got out and closed the door. The on screen readout still showed the door was open. I noticed if I got out of the car and push on the passenger door it would remove the open door light and the window would roll up the 1 inch. As soon as I let off the door, the widow would roll down the 1 inch and the vehicle would not allow me to lock it, because it thought the door was not closed all the way. I checked the door molding and nothing seems to be stopping anything. Is this a known problem? Any ideas? Pete

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
A recall for a door lock - I'm not aware of a door not closing. Definitely take it to the dealer and get them to fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
This may be a problem with a sensor or instrument cluster, not the door. I seem to recall that one of my defective instr clusters always showed that one of the doors was open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a call into the dealer but no call back yet. (great dealership though) Problem is. I am 1.5 hours away from dealership. I was hoping maybe there was something simple I was missing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking it was a sensor. but when pushing directly on the passenger door. it closes. so it's a matter of me pushing maybe an inch on the door. thats why I was thinking maybe a piece of door trim was just sticking out a bit. but it all looks good.
but it sucks because I cant lock the car because the sensors think the door is open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh, dont get me wrong.. I love the car. but it's only 20 hours old and Not being able to lock the door is a big issue. plus? will it run the battery down?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Pete- Sorry to hear about your trouble. It sounds like the door latch is not rotating all the way-- the closing sensor is incorporated in the latch if I'm not mistaken. If you open the door, you can see the latch in the door shell. A screwdriver of appropriate diameter can be used as a dummy catch to rotate the latch mechanism. Rotate it closed once using this method, and see if it causes the door-open indicator to go out.

If so, here's something you may want to try. Loosen the 3 bolts fastening the door latch to the door shell. They are small Allen head bolts, 5mm if I remember right. Loosen them just enough that they will allow movement in the door latch, but only just. Then shut the door firmly. You may want to roll the window down so you can ensure that you get a nice firm close.

Then open the door normally and tighten the bolts. No need to kill them, but make sure they are tight so they don't go out of adjustment again. This is how car builders do the final alignment on a door latch, so assuming there is not something wrong with the latch itself, this may fix your problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well. you can definately trigger the door mechanism with a screwdriver. but I tried adjusting the allen's "4" mill by the way. and could not get it adjusted right. Perhpas I will keep trying.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Temporarily, can you lock the door with a key? Or, can you lock it from the inside, and then use the fob to lock when you have exited the driver's side?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes. you can hold the door close. Lock it. then when you let off of the door. The alarm beeps a few times telling me the door is not closed.. then the beeping stops. The problem is. since it thinks the door is open. The lights in the footwells come on and so do the led in the dash. So I am off to the dealership in the morning. I was afraid the battery would die. ( fortunately my car is in my garage) so.. I used a scredriver to trigger the lock mechanicsm and just closed the door as tight as it would go. Atleast this way. the lights are not on and the battery wont die.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Pete! Old problem. You did it right. Use a screwdriver and place the piece on the car as close as possible horizontal to the inside of the car. Try to close the door as tight as possible, so you have no electric contact and the car checks, that the door is closed. = you can drive around and no panic about electricity.
Then you order a new complete doormechanism part at your dealer. When it arrives you drive to the dealer and let it fix. This takes about 1 hour.
The problem is, that the doorsensor is integrated into a very british built door close mechanism in the doorinside and it has to be replaced as a whole.
Then you will have no more problems.
I know this, because I had the same problem more than a year ago. If you then see by yourself (when dealer is fixing) how it is made, you will understand, that this... never works.
Be aware of getting the armrail away very cautious. There where the passenger can hold his hand is a quiet tricky piece of plastic. If it is taken away with too much "force" the refixing could get problems. = handle with care and it works.
If you have a "machanic" near by, he can do it also. The tools you have to use are common. So anybody with a bit o f mechanic understanding can fix it. But you need the sparepart as a whole (it looks terrible... optically). Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you. I am not going to attempt to take the mechanism apart. The car is only 20 hours old! I am headed to the dealer first thing in the morning. I hope they have the parts to fix it. it's a 90 minute drive. Thanks, everyone for all your help. Pete

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Pete, these cars tend to drain the battery fairly quickly if they're not driven for a few days. Many of us keep them on battery tenders anyway. Do a search in this forum and you'll find several threads with recommended models.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
thank you. I am not going to attempt to take the mechanism apart. The car is only 20 hours old! I am headed to the dealer first thing in the morning. I hope they have the parts to fix it. it's a 90 minute drive. Thanks, everyone for all your help. Pete
What is the update on your door?
Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
This started to happen to me on Thursday. I would be driving and the door graphic would show the door open and the window would move like the door was opened. It was the passenger door for me as well. The door never unlatched and appeared to be fully closed. Opening and closing the door would temporarily fix the issue. On Thursday night I parked the car and the door showed closed. Friday I did not drive the car. Today, the battery was completely dead (well showing 6v, but dead enough because I can't charge it). It really sucks, because I am already on my second battery.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is pretty weird 'cause as far as I can tell, it's a mechanical action (pulling on the door lever, inside or out) that triggers the windows to pop down. Indeed, as mentioned earlier, if you take a screwdriver to the door latch on an open door there are two positions that take part in a closing door.

The first click partially locks the door, the second click pops the window up half an inch & turns off the interior light. I'm baffled as to how a door could be fully closed but the electrics are signalled it's opening. (Excessively close) Tolerances I guess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts