The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know of a way to get out a screw that is dropped down one of the corner vents on the dash?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I know nothing about lotus vents... but I would try to get a small magnet on the end of a piece of sting or wire and drop the magnet down the vent the screw fell down... and pray that its made of a ferrous material -poke-

·
Registered
225 Posts
You can buy a magnet-grabber at any hardware store, they also make a telescoping flexible grabber too. No toolbox should be without these........:cool:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Only the middle 2 vents out of the 6 on the dash top actually connect to the ventilation system. It should still be under the dash top if it didn't go down the vent.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It went down the far right vent. Who would have thought it did not lead anywhere.:shrug: There is no rattle so i think I will just let it be and if there is ever a reason that I need to take the dash apart, I will look for it then. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
379 Posts
http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm is one of the many sites. I remember from a while back that a ET member sells rare earth magnets, don't remember any specifics though.

I find creative ways to use magnets all the time, (e.g. cleaning metal shavings off a lathe, holding things you are working on...)

Be careful with the big magnets, some have a pull force of 100+ lbs. If they touch some steel where you can't reach, it will be there for good.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Let's start a poll: applies only to folks who have replaced front speakers.

(1) dropped no screws
(2) one or more screws permanently reside in my dash somewhere, I think.
(3) Dropped one and retrieved it
(4) Have additional dropped screws under seat.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I know nothing about lotus vents... but I would try to get a small magnet on the end of a piece of sting or wire and drop the magnet down the vent the screw fell down... and pray that its made of a ferris material -poke-
Or, let's hope it's ferrous.

Although I'm kind of curious what kind of magnet works on Ferris...
;)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Let's start a poll: applies only to folks who have replaced front speakers.

(1) dropped no screws
(2) one or more screws permanently reside in my dash somewhere, I think.
(3) Dropped one and retrieved it
(4) Have additional dropped screws under seat.
(1)

But you didn't ask about the rear speakers:

(3); retrieved with telescoping magnet...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Simple solution, turn the car over and shake it .. :sheep:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts