The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am brand new to Lotus ownership. So new in fact that the car is currently in transit. The good news, it will be here tomorrow! The bad news is the driver from the shipping company called today and said he had to move it to drop off another car nearby and the Evora wouldn't start... It is a 2012 Evora NA. From what I understand it had been kept on a battery tender by the previous owner. The transport driver says he is aware of the immobilizer, and that the dash lights up but there is just a 'clicking noise and the engine doesn't turn.' He says he tried jumping it and that didn't do anything. I looked up battery issues and was a little shocked to see that at least one owner has had his ECU fried by trying to jump it. But then I see others post that jumping the car is a non issue.

I am meeting the driver tomorrow at the local Lotus dealership, their service bay isn't open over the weekend but at least I won't need to get it towed if it doesn't start.

Just looking for any ideas I can get at this point. The driver indicated that it was -6 degrees when he tried moving it and wasn't sure if the cold had anything to do with it, does anyone know of similar instances of the cold having an impact on the battery/starting?

My immediate plan is to just show up with a new battery hook it up and hope for the best. I have also seen some posts regarding the starter motor brush having issues and needing to be replaced. Unfortunately I don't currently have access to the car nor any additional details than what I have provided.

As for replacement batteries I see recommendations for:
Duralast 48-DL
Autozone T5 DLG
Interstate MTP-91

Leaning towards the interstate if I can find it nearby.

Anyone have tips/tricks to share?

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I would advise not to jump start the car. Even though Lotus has an ECU recovery process, I think the chance of cooking the ECU outweighs other, safer methods of getting it started.

When mine was delivered, it too wouldn't start. I first thought the battery was flat, so I removed it from the car and put it on my charger. Found out that the battery was fine. Got the AAA guy to help me push-start it, and it fired right up. So it turned out that the starter brushes had failed or froze during transport. You didn't mention if it's an IPS or MT, so this may not be an option for you.

Since it's been on a transport truck, it may have been tilted enough, either nose-down or nose-up, to trip the inertia switch. There's a reset button in the engine bay, along the left-hand side backstay, ahead of the airbox. You could try pressing that to reset.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. It is an IPS so push- start is a no go. I will be sure to check the inertia switch thanks for the diagram.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When I bought mine the battery had gone dead during transport. There are three buttons on the fob, the middle button disarms it. push it once and note the flashing red light in the instrument cluster goes out. The middle button doesn't really look like a button. I'm mentioning this because my driver thought he knew how the key fob worked but he didn't. We had to push it off the transport and I jumped it without issue. If you do wind up jumping it, make sure the key is not in the ignition until you are ready to try and start it.
There is a procedure in the owner manual on how to jump start the car and to disarm the immobilizer.
Evora Owners Handbook USA - Model Year 2009

1 - 7 of 7 Posts