The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine blew out, or at least i believe so, engine coughs and dies without constant throttle, most of my torque is gone, sounds twice as loud for some reason...and when applying constant throttle the engine revs up and down a little bit.

I cant get the part from lotus around here so i was thinking perhaps the toyota dealership might carry one, but then again, the intake system is different than that of a Celicas.

any help welcome!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Even though you most likely have tried this, I thought I would ask you if you have tried to just clean it yet. I ask this because my Daily Driver ('98 Isuzu Rodeo) was having the same symptoms for the past several weeks.........i.e. the engine stalling without constant throttle, revving inconsistently even with constant throttle applied, torque reduction, etc.

I was getting frustrated as I wasn't getting a CEL, so I was not sure what the deal was. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I finally got a CEL last week and brought the car over to my brother who had an OBDII reader handy (I should have just gone over there before the CEL popped up anyways). Sure enough, it spit back the code and description of a faulty/dirty MAF sensor. I then proceeded over to the local auto parts store (AutoZone) and bought some MAF sensor cleaner for about $6 a can. I disconnected the sensor, pulled it out of the truck, and then sprayed it down. Once it dried, I fired the truck right up and it ran great all weekend long. It ran a little rough this morning, but nowhere near as bad as last week. I probably will clean it up a bit more tonight as I have been told that it can take a few cleanings to get it back and running smoothly. Still, I am happy with the results so I just wanted to relay my experience with you in case you didn't look at just cleaning it. Good luck!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cletus, i just had a chance to look at my car, i did notice the toyota symbol on the part, and ordered one through a local toyota dealer, much cheaper than the lotus dealer or the lotus garage, plus they are overnighting it.

I took the maf out of the car and blew in it lol, and refitted it hoping a bad connection was the problem, i guess now ill go get some cleaner and try that. thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One doubt i have though, when the problem occured, it was almost instant, i was gunning it and all of a sudden it bogged down and the engine tone drastically changed.
I just purchased some MAF sensor cleaner to try it out anyway, but i doubt it will do any good. sounds like a malfunction instead of a gradual build up..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts