The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[resolved-how to disable alarm immobilizer] fob not working, alarm siren& cant stop

2006 elise

While driving my turn signals stopped working. Hazards were still working. Got out armed car , later got back in and drove to destination. Turned off key pulled out and alarm goes off. Sirens 30sec or so stops 5 and back on. Large fob button does nothing, fob won't lock or unlock and won't disarm. Key won't unlock/lock either, can't start car.

Alarm stops. Red alarm light stays solid red when trying to start. No blinks. I tried to resync fob already. Checked fuses f6, f9, f11 and r2. F6,9,11,10 are burnt. Replacing them sets off siren again where fobs and key in ignition do nothing.

I pulled the fuses to stop the alarm siren since I couldn't disarm and didn't want any more blown fuses. Flatbed towed home.

If anyone can help. Is there a way to reset the alarm with code while the siren is on. I will try disconnecting car battery later. Typing from parking lot now as I wait for tow truck. Thanks

edit: blown fuses were F6,7,9,11 NOT 10

·
Registered
207 Posts
New battery in Fob?

I had a similar incident -- alarm triggered, burnt out fuse to security system, could not unlock car, let alone start it. Now I keep extra fuses and CR2032 fob battery in trunk, which is always accessible as long as I have a mechanical key.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
2006 elise

While driving my turn signals stopped working. Hazards were still working. Got out armed car , later got back in and drove to destination. Turned off key pulled out and alarm goes off. Sirens 30sec or so stops 5 and back on. Large fob button does nothing, fob won't lock or unlock and won't disarm. Key won't unlock/lock either, can't start car.

Alarm stops. Red alarm light stays solid red when trying to start. No blinks. I tried to resync fob already. Checked fuses f6, f9, f11 and r2. F6,9,11,10 are burnt. Replacing them sets off siren again where fobs and key in ignition do nothing.

I pulled the fuses to stop the alarm siren since I couldn't disarm and didn't want any more blown fuses. Flatbed towed home.

If anyone can help. Is there a way to reset the alarm with code while the siren is on. I will try disconnecting car battery later. Typing from parking lot now as I wait for tow truck. Thanks
Quite obviously there is a short in an alarm system component. I am concerned over the fuse F10 blowing which is NOT part of the system.
Michael

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fob batteries may be good b/c i had both transmitters on me and the red light on it works.

Yes may be a short. Wondeing what the next step would be. Hopefully in attempting to resync and reprogram fobs, i didnt unsync them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Quite obviously there is a short in an alarm system component. I am concerned over the fuse F10 blowing which is NOT part of the system.
Michael
It wasn't F10. I made a mistake. Blown fuses were F6, 7, 9, 11

The car battery was low/weak at 12.0 volts (44%), I'm recharging it with a car battery charger. Will try to diagnose tomorrow. Hopefully the problem was the weak car battery

Also, I've read the dome light in the back should be down. I believe mine was in the up position. However, in the down position with key in the car has a long sustained beep, same as if you had the door open. Moving dome light up all the way, long sustained beep goes away. Not sure which position turns dome light on b/c light doesn't come on in all 3 positions - may be dead bulb.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
It wasn't F10. I made a mistake. Blown fuses were F6, 7, 9, 11

The car battery was low/weak at 12.0 volts (44%), I'm recharging it with a car battery charger. Will try to diagnose tomorrow. Hopefully the problem was the weak car battery

Also, I've read the dome light in the back should be down. I believe mine was in the up position. However, in the down position with key in the car has a long sustained beep, same as if you had the door open. Moving dome light up all the way, long sustained beep goes away. Not sure which position turns dome light on b/c light doesn't come on in all 3 positions - may be dead bulb.
The short may very well be in the interior light circuit, check that first. All of the above fuses are associated with the alarm, as is the interior light. The light should come on and be in the down position for normal alarm operation.
Michael
Michael

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The short may very well be in the interior light circuit, check that first. All of the above fuses are associated with the alarm, as is the interior light. The light should come on and be in the down position for normal alarm operation.
Michael
Michael
alright, I will check that, thanks

Just hookedup the fully charged car battery. As soon as I put fresh fuses in the alarm goes off. Can't deactivate via fob. Can't deactivate via turning key in ignition 3 times + pin.

edit: the dome light seems ok, no shorts. I assume the brown plug in the back should be on the driver's side as in this thread
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/how-do-i-replace-interior-light-31298/ On my way to advance auto parts to see if i can get a replacement bulb even thought the filament in the bulb looks intact.

with access panel closed, doors closed, dome light down, I connect the car battery and alarm goes off. I close the trunk, fob still doesnt work, and getting in the car closing door and turning ket doesn;t work. I have to disconnect the car battery again to stop the alarm

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
alright, I will check that, thanks

Just hookedup the fully charged car battery. As soon as I put fresh fuses in the alarm goes off. Can't deactivate via fob. Can't deactivate via turning key in ignition 3 times + pin.

edit: the dome light seems ok, no shorts. I assume the brown plug in the back should be on the driver's side as in this thread
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/how-do-i-replace-interior-light-31298/ On my way to advance auto parts to see if i can get a replacement bulb even thought the filament in the bulb looks intact.
The alarm is going off because the system sees the blowing fuse as an attempt to cut power and switches to the sirens internal back up battery.
Michael

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The alarm is going off because the system sees the blowing fuse as an attempt to cut power and switches to the sirens internal back up battery.
Michael
that does make sense. I did put in all good fuses, closed all doors. So fuses are good. Then after all that, connect car battery. Alarm goes off and fob/key won't turn off forcing to unplug car battery to stop the alarm

I know my turn signals failed first, then hazards failed later - could these be sources of shorts, and how could I check for them

edit: just changed dome light bulb, but the dome light still doesn't light up. Also with key in ignition, sustained buzzer beep still stays on when dome is pointed down, Beep goes away if in middle or up positions. SAme beep as when you have door open.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If there is no short in the light then I would suspect the alarm module. The way to prove that, is to pull the plug on the alarm module and bypass the immobilizer so that you can start the car. If no fuses blow it is the module.
Michael
I disconnected the alarm module. Can't figure out how to get to the immobilizer. I know that it's by the driver's side seat belt under panel. Do I have to remove car seat to remove the whole interior rear panel including speakers to get to the immobilizer?

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I disconnected the alarm module. Can't figure out how to get to the immobilizer. I know that it's by the driver's side seat belt under panel. Do I have to remove car seat to remove the whole interior rear panel including speakers to get to the immobilizer?
In most cases, yes. However, if you are VERY patient, it is possible to pry up the bottom corner of the panel and with a hook pull out the harness to the immobilizer in order to bypass. I stress, it is not easy.
Michael

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I moved the back panel out of the way. I can see the seatbelt retractor with yellow on it. Behind that is a black foam/rubber/insulation type material that spans the entire back wall and says PUR on it. Where is the immobilizer at this point. Is it behind the insulation towards the side of the car by seatbelt retractor or is it directly behind seat by the firewall?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all, thank you Michael for replying to my threads in such a short amount of time. It was so helpful getting answers quickly to get the project done. I will link to your threads to help others too. So you think the alarm module is at fault? I may take it to dealer to get fixed later on. Just happy my car starts

It's done. This disconnects the alarm and immobilizer. You can't use the fobs to unlock/lock, and must use key in keyhole. Car starts, runs fine, all turn signals and hazards work, even the dome light works as it should - in the down position.

My process without removing seats

I unhooked the molex connector on the alarm module as seen here
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/permanent-alarm-imobilizer-disable-possible-70398/
I don't know how others are unhooking the molex but it's so tight in there. I had to cut the foam, then remove the plastic baggy, there's a black tab on each end on the top of the module to remove the connector. I couldn't unhook the connector myself, had my super wife (she's 5'2" with tiny hands) - she was able to get both hands in and unhook it.

Next, remove the 4 screws on the back panel (the plastic washers behind will pop out so catch them as u remove the panel.) Undo the top seatbelt holder by removing the cover http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/removing-seatbelt-plastic-covers-10714/

Move driver seat all the way forward, pull panel carefully slightly away from firewall. You'll see the black foam. I the right 1/6 of the foam off and wiggled the small piece out. With it out you'll see the immobilizer on the firewall on the far right towards driver side. i took some pics here(look for the white connector)

Unplug and jump the ends as seen here
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320/please-help-asap-immobiliser-issue-88580/

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
First of all, thank you Michael for replying to my threads in such a short amount of time. It was so helpful getting answers quickly to get the project done. I will link to your threads to help others too. So you think the alarm module is at fault? I may take it to dealer to get fixed later on. Just happy my car starts

It's done. This disconnects the alarm and immobilizer. You can't use the fobs to unlock/lock, and must use key in keyhole. Car starts, runs fine, all turn signals and hazards work, even the dome light works as it should - in the down position.

My process without removing seats

I unhooked the molex connector on the alarm module as seen here
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/permanent-alarm-imobilizer-disable-possible-70398/
I don't know how others are unhooking the molex but it's so tight in there. I had to cut the foam, then remove the plastic baggy, there's a black tab on each end on the top of the module to remove the connector. I couldn't unhook the connector myself, had my super wife (she's 5'2" with tiny hands) - she was able to get both hands in and unhook it.

Next, remove the 4 screws on the back panel (the plastic washers behind will pop out so catch them as u remove the panel.) Undo the top seatbelt holder by removing the cover http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/removing-seatbelt-plastic-covers-10714/

Move driver seat all the way forward, pull panel carefully slightly away from firewall. You'll see the black foam. I the right 1/6 of the foam off and wiggled the small piece out. With it out you'll see the immobilizer on the firewall on the far right towards driver side. i took some pics here(look for the white connector)

Unplug and jump the ends as seen here
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320/please-help-asap-immobiliser-issue-88580/
Glad to be of assistance and pleased you got the car running. So, as everything is working fine, it is almost certainly the alarm module which probably received a spike. I have used modules available complete with PIN, PM me if interested.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad to be of assistance and pleased you got the car running. So, as everything is working fine, it is almost certainly the alarm module which probably received a spike. I have used modules available complete with PIN, PM me if interested.
Cheers,
Michael
Thanks, I just bought the car. It's a day old. The dealership offers a limited warranty for 90 days which I may look into.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
update: the blue blinker relay under the dash was bad. Most likely the poor relay led to damaging the alarm and immobilizer

Lotus of Orlando was great and helped get everything right. They replaced alarm/immobilizer at first not knowing about the bad relay. When I took the car back the blinker was working a few times, then stopped. So I knew the cause of the blinker failure was still present. I unhooked the alarm/immobilizer to prevent burning up another one

Took it back to the dealer and they happily diagnosed some more. After replacing the turn signal blue relay under the dash, all has been good. Turn signals, hazards, immobilizer, and alarm all work well; and has been for past few weeks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts