The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I could use some help diagnosing a problem with oil temp gauge. It does not read temp. it has power and wiring looks good. If some know how to test it for fault i would appreciate it

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
A volt meter using resistance (ohms) would be a good place to start.
Check 12V, ground and voltage from the sender (or resistence), depending if it is powered or not.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Hi

I could use some help diagnosing a problem with oil temp gauge. It does not read temp. it has power and wiring looks good. If some know how to test it for fault i would appreciate it
If you are absolutely sure it is getting power/signal from the sending unit, then the gauge is probably kaput.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
If the sender is powered ground the wire. The gauge should go the max. If it does the sender is bad. If it doesn't the gauge is bad. If you are certain there is power.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi

There are auto-sparkies (Auto-Electricians) non bother sides of I70 (and I25). Just to to any of them.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a multimeter i will try

sender is powered ground the wire. The gauge should go the max. If it does the sender is bad. If it doesn't the gauge is bad.

thanks

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
It's not unheard of to have a bad sensor right out of the box. Happened to me once and had me scratching my head.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most likely the sender (sensor). I've had one go bad --broken connection. The kind I had was a simple one-wire thermistor. Its resistance, measured with respect to the grounded pan, changed as the temp changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts