The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an incedent where someone in an older pos truck was overloaded with crap and puked a bunch on the road in front of me.:mad: Does anyone know a Lotus recommended bodyshop in Sacramento or Bay area?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I concur on repair AND Dietsch Werks. Both are solid choices.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
as horrible as it looks - it seems easily repairable by a quality fiberglass shop. I know how you feel, done that, been there. If you replace that clam, please ship me that beauty at my expense!!!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
There was an old saying back in the 1980's. It went: "Nobody was ever fired for specifying IBM". If you bought IBM back then, it would cost more, but you could be assured of a specific (good) outcome. The same is true for replacing the clam, versus repairing it. You have a higher probability of a good outcome by purchasing a new clam; the only thing they can mess up is the fit/alignment, color, re-installation of the lights or other minor problem. Repair of the clam carries all the above risks (except for re-installation of lights), plus, the risk of the repair being weak or not being shaped quite right. This is where your selection of body shop makes the biggest difference. You can stack the odds in your favor by asking your Corvette buddies where they get their work done at (and obviously your Lotus buddies too). There are definately times when the fiberglass is so damaged it is not viable to repair a clam; your clam does not appear to fall into that catagory. Just my two cents. Obviously if you are having the work done on someone elses insurance, then go full monty, get the clam replaced. If you are going to do it on your dime, I would suggest repair versus replace. If it is one of those insurance companies which total a car at 50% of (their percieved) value of the car, then a 15k clam replacement may push them towards totalling the car. Good luck with your choices

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE

I dropped her off at Deisch Werks yesterday. It looks like it will be a front clam replacement. I know the old lady is scared to drive the Elise now. She was scarred before, but it is funny that it would happen when she was driving. It broke my heart being in the passenger seat and having it happen. But Deisch Werks seems to be extremely reputable and had a bunch of Lotus cars being worked on. Looks like i will be Lotus less for about a month. Sighhhhh.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sorry to hear about this...

Please keep us posted on the cost and the result of the shops work.

I sent mine to Exotic Autoworks in Campbell. Curious to hear how Deisch Werks works out for you.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
If it's only out of commission for a month you'd be very lucky compared to me. Mine was out for just over two months. Most of that time was just waiting for the new clam to arrive from Lotus. Though, mine was a rear clam replacement.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
alot to be thankful for. There is an old saying that goes "Absence makes the Elise grow stronger." Or something like that

·
Registered
69 Posts
I concur on repair AND Dietsch Werks. Both are solid choices.
I had Rob at DW repaint my front clam. Came out looking awesome.

I would recommend:

Your damage appears to be very repairable. I would recommend:

Cars Dawydiak | Collision Care

I have seen several Elise's in their shop for body repairs over the years. They have 2 locations in the Bay Area.

Best,

vincesf
Cars Dawydiak are a bunch of scam artists. I took my Vespa to there for a repair quote and to another high end shop, they wanted $4000 to repair a dented front fender and repaint it... Other shop, $800... I suspect with cars that order of magnitude applies as well.

I dropped her off at Deisch Werks yesterday. It looks like it will be a front clam replacement. I know the old lady is scared to drive the Elise now. She was scarred before, but it is funny that it would happen when she was driving. It broke my heart being in the passenger seat and having it happen. But Deisch Werks seems to be extremely reputable and had a bunch of Lotus cars being worked on. Looks like i will be Lotus less for about a month. Sighhhhh.
You probably got to see my baby all ripped apart. I was there and saw your car I think today, my engine parts came in. That is a good looking lotus.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had Rob at DW repaint my front clam. Came out looking awesome.

Cars Dawydiak are a bunch of scam artists. I took my Vespa to there for a repair quote and to another high end shop, they wanted $4000 to repair a dented front fender and repaint it... Other shop, $800... I suspect with cars that order of magnitude applies as well.

You probably got to see my baby all ripped apart. I was there and saw your car I think today, my engine parts came in. That is a good looking lotus.

I saw yours. He had some nice cars. It's only been a week and I am already going crazy. I guess I need to take out the buggy. It's been neglected. Maybe some wheelies in the buggy will cheer me up.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sorry didn't see this earlier, I had some clam damage that a corvette shop fixed in vacaville. Rob is a great guy but if you needed someone closer theres a shop next to the corvette express in vacaville, right off I-80 that has a talented kid that does fiberglass. They fixed and repainted my BRP earlier this year. The plinth was split in half plus missing a chunk at the chin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the ok from insurance today! Rob stated the clam will be in wednesday. He also made me a deal on the old clam so it is spoken for. Still going through Lotus withdrawls! Looks like the Dune Buggy will be my only release for a while. I have recieved a mix of messages from guys about the shop, but so far Rob has been top notch in my book. Very thorough and keeps me informed. I can't ask for anything more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts