The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always heard that a stopped car can't cause an accident. Is that true? Here's my story...

I was hit on a freeway on-ramp, and my car wasn't moving when it happened. The U-haul truck driver says (in the police report) that she didn't see me. Police report says it's my fault because my lane was merging with the other lane.

What do you guys think? Anyone have a CVC that I can take to the insurance company or small claims court?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I've always heard that a stopped car can't cause an accident. Is that true? Here's my story...

I was hit on a freeway on-ramp, and my car wasn't moving when it happened. The U-haul truck driver says (in the police report) that she didn't see me. Police report says it's my fault because my lane was merging with the other lane.

What do you guys think? Anyone have a CVC that I can take to the insurance company or small claims court?
I think more info will be necessary. What part of your car was hit? Were you partially in their lane?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Around here, if you are leaving your lane, it would be your fault.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Maybe "roadblock" isn't the best name to use...I'm just sayin' ;)

In a merging lane, a driver must keep moving and fit in witht he flow of traffic. If a "yield" sign is posted, you must be prepared to stop-the other car has the right-of-way. If that ramp had a "merge" sign posted, you might have a problem.

Tom

·
Registered
263 Posts
You should NEVER be stopped on a highway onramp. Ever. If you can't merge with traffic (IE it's stopped), sit on the TOP of the onramp and wait for it to start moving so you can safely merge in. Otherwise you merge in with the flow of traffic.

I've seen and nearly been in several accidents because the retard in front of me is going down an on-ramp and rather than accelerating into merging, he/she STOPS ON THE DAMN RAMP.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Please don't tell me your one of those drivers that doesn’t accelerate to the speed of the traffic to which you're merging with. If you are, I have no sympathy. If this isn’t the case, the U-Haul driver is at fault. Really, the U-Haul is at fault anyways, legally.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As a general rule, I try not to merge in front of large trucks in the Lotus unless if I can be absolutely certain that they see me, or I know I can get in front of them no problem. If traffic is crawling in the merge lane, I will wait until the truck has passed and go behind them. If a truck is trying to merge and I have the right away, I will let them merge ahead of me instead of hoping that they see me...either that, or I just change lanes. The car is small...I always assume that nobody can see me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You definantly need to provide more info, were the metering lights on, is that why you were stopped? I hope that's the reason, or perhaps traffic on the freeway was going only 5 mph... otherwise why in the hell did you stop on the freaking on ramp? Idiots who do that because they can't merge cause accidents, learn to drive and make up your mind when entering the freeway, you should be able to look for a merge spot well before actually merging!

So... I'll assume you had a good reason for stopping, go ahead and explain before everyone brands you as another idiot driver

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Kind of an appropriate member name.... :D

Sorry... :(

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i CANNOT STAND drivers that stop in merge lanes. Officially i think it is the other drivers fault, although that's ridiculous.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Hey, let's wait for some facts before lunching roadblock, ok? Also, please keep it civil and avoid posts that could be interpreted as a personal attack.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I hate drivers who stop on an onramp too. But when we're behind one, or when we're behind anybody for that matter, we should leave enough room to react to whatever they may do.

xtn

·
Registered
693 Posts
Police report says it's my fault because my lane was merging with the other lane.

What do you guys think?
I think the Police report is right and if you were stopped it was your fault. It is extremely dangerous to be stopped on a merge. For one, people behind you are expecting you to merge while they are also looking at on coming traffic.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It would probably help to know what state you lived in, so we know what laws apply...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts