The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal: I'm not going to blame the previous owner for this, but when I bought my '06 Exige there was (still is) a bit of pastey white wax residue built up around and on the mesh grills over the engine. At first, it didn't bother me because I thought I'd be able to get it off. But now that I've washed and waxed it a few times and CANNOT for the life of me get this stuff off, it is getting on my nerves. It wouldn't bug me, but i'm taking it to a car show this weekend and it'll be the first time i've entered a car in a show and i'd prefer to show it without the excess wax build up. I have no expectations of winning anything since the car isn't 100% perfect (I'm working on it) but its sort of a matter of pride at this point.

Moral of the story: Can someone recommend a method or product I can use to get this stuff out of the edges around the mesh and off of the mesh itself? The only thing that anyone I know has been able to suggest is mild solution of water and dish washing soap and an electric toothbrush with REALLY soft bristles. The idea of doing that scares me a little bit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
go to an automotive paint store and get a bottle of wax and grease remover. It is a solvent that doesnt harm paint but is designed to wash any remaining wax/grease off of paint right before you respray. You might also be able to get it from Autozone.

Beyond that, brake cleaner should work too.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Not just any dish soap... use Dawn and mix it strong.

xtn

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent! Thanks guys. I'll post about the results when I get a chance to try it out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Try to use a synthetic wax in the future. I like Zaino, but there are many off the shelf varieties that are really good to. You won't have a problem with staining black trim pieces with a synthetic wax.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try to use a synthetic wax in the future. I like Zaino, but there are many off the shelf varieties that are really good to. You won't have a problem with staining black trim pieces with a synthetic wax.
I've just been using that Turtle Wax - ICE stuff since I bought the car. I doubt it offers the best protection out there, but, its better than nothing and doesn't give me problems with residue or hazing anywhere. I hope that I can find time to start using better products and doing a more complete job to protect the paint, but its just baby steps for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts