The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and can't find anything, I thought I remembered something about how to remove those plastic side panels, but can't find it.

I'm looking to remove the side panel near the temp control. The side panels seem like they would snap out to allow access. Does anyone know how to remove and reinstall them?

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might have to take off the binnacle first. I'm not sure which panel you're asking about.
The aluminum tray that is open space and has the heat/ac controls mounted into it, there are two black plastic end caps on each side. I want to sneak into one to get wires through to my XM radio unit.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I've never had those off before. I took the binnacle off one day, though. That was pretty easy and would probably afford you access to that space. The other option might be to remove the passenger side dash panel thingy.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump...

Hasn't anyone removed these? :(

·
Registered
341 Posts
The service manual says you need to pull the covers off the door sills to expose screws. I'll be removing mine tomorrow, then proceeding to disassemble the dash. It smells like there's a dead mouse in the dash. (yuckie!)

·
Registered
341 Posts
The service manual also says that before you unscrew the binnacle, you should disconnect the battery, then wait 30 seconds for the capacitors in the airbag to discharge. Otherwise, you might set off the air bag.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I might "officially" give up this project. Last thing I want to do is start ripping 1/2 the front inside of the car up to run a few wired. You guys doing stereo upgrades are much more dedicated to this than I could imagine being.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I think I might "officially" give up this project. Last thing I want to do is start ripping 1/2 the front inside of the car up to run a few wired. You guys doing stereo upgrades are much more dedicated to this than I could imagine being.

Thanks for the input.
Why don't you try telling us what you're trying to do? I don't know of any reason why you would take those panels off to upgrade the stereo.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why don't you try telling us what you're trying to do? I don't know of any reason why you would take those panels off to upgrade the stereo.
I want to pull the aux in cable into the small area next to the fan control to plug it into the little xm radio unit I have. My wife got a car with xm, I liked it so I bought a unit. I use it in my other car and at home, I'd like to put it into the Lotus. But it's turning into a hassle. I don't want to do a crappy installation, nor is it worth paying someone to do it. I thought it would be easy since it seemed like the underdash area was somewhat open. Silly me. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I want to pull the aux in cable into the small area next to the fan control to plug it into the little xm radio unit I have. My wife got a car with xm, I liked it so I bought a unit. I use it in my other car and at home, I'd like to put it into the Lotus. But it's turning into a hassle. I don't want to do a crappy installation, nor is it worth paying someone to do it. I thought it would be easy since it seemed like the underdash area was somewhat open. Silly me. :shrug:
I see. The XM tuner needs power and plugs into the AUX in on your head unit. You could build a little mount to hold the tuner to the trinket tray.

How about this:

1) Remove the passenger side cubby cover
2) Run the wire to the head unit behind the passenger airbag to the (newly) exposed hole.
3) Put a small discrete hole in the piece of plastic dividing the passenger side cubby and the trinket tray
4) Run wire through the hole
5) Mount XM radio tuner somewhere along the trinket tray.
6) Run power somehow

I'm sure there is a more direct way to do it. But this will work.

Another option is to mount the thing between the seats on the console. Then you can get power from the power outlet there. Then you can run the output under the console and brace up to the head unit. You could bend a piece of aluminum and line it with padding to hold the XM to the console without scratching it.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris, that kinda was my plan, but there seems to be no easy way to get the aux cable from the hu out. All access seems to require removing something that requires removing something else. I really would prefer not taking 1/2 the dash apart to do this. It appears as if that's what is required. Perhaps I'm missing something.

(Watch for an aux cable for sale at an LT page near you. :( )

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Do you have "radio tools"? What brand radio is it?

Chris, that kinda was my plan, but there seems to be no easy way to get the aux cable from the hu out. All access seems to require removing something that requires removing something else. I really would prefer not taking 1/2 the dash apart to do this. It appears as if that's what is required. Perhaps I'm missing something.

(Watch for an aux cable for sale at an LT page near you. :( )

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can pull the radio and attach the cable, but I don't seem to be able to find a way to get the cable out of that "cubby." Ah, nevermind. I'm a heck of a craftsman, but a terrible mechanic...I don't want to waste anyone's time trying to explain this to me. At least I didn't break anything. :(

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've ran cables to the passenger side cuby before, Theres a page in ET/LT that shows an ipod but I've since gone back and put the bluetooth/USB in the drivers side cuby. Not that hard just take the bottom of the binnacle off. I ran the cables from the HU down some aluminum supports into the cuby. The supports have holes machined in them to make them lighter. I used these holes to snake the cable down from the HU. The aluminum is very sharp so be careful with your hands and get some cut proof cable sleeves to wrap the cable so it doesn't get cut. I didn't disconnect the battery to do this as the bottom binnacle didn't effect the airbag. Once the cable is run it is easier to snap the plastic piece out to finish the job. Take your time, have plenty of good light, watch for sharp edges and use some 9 wire or coat hanger to help run the cable.

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
I mounted the Sirius unit in the extreme lh cubbyhole, ran the ground and hot leads into the cubby. So, it's out of the way and sight.

While I don't know if your unit would fit there, I do have a question: Do you really need to connect to the radio's aux-in? Can't you tune the radio to an unused freq and have the xm transmt in that freq?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mounted the Sirius unit in the extreme lh cubbyhole, ran the ground and hot leads into the cubby. So, it's out of the way and sight.

While I don't know if your unit would fit there, I do have a question: Do you really need to connect to the radio's aux-in? Can't you tune the radio to an unused freq and have the xm transmt in that freq?
Quality of sound is huge direct connect vs radio. Sounds like mp3 through radio, CD through aux. But right now it sounds like nothing, so maybe that's an idea, but I still have to run wires and I don't want it messy. I may just pan this idea as beyond the effort I'm willing to put into it.

Thanks for your input guys!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've searched and can't find anything, I thought I remembered something about how to remove those plastic side panels, but can't find it.

I'm looking to remove the side panel near the temp control. The side panels seem like they would snap out to allow access. Does anyone know how to remove and reinstall them?

Thanks!

Joe
I am not sure if this is what you are tying to do.
To remove the side plastic panel, you would need to remove the cover for the cubby hole on your far right hand side. You just need to remove a few screws and it should come out easy.

Once the square cover is off, you can see the plastic panel from inside of dash. You just need to push it out. It takes a few tries but it pops out by flexing the plastic. Putting it back is little tricky.

I installed Sirius radio and I ran the antenna wire through side plastic panel (right side). I also drilled a hole and added the power socket (part from Radio Shack) to supply power to Sirius radio. Power goes out when key is removed. Since my head unit's aux is in the front, I just plugged the Sirius radio directly to the head unit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts