The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here's my situation. I currently am in MD. I am moving to So Cal August 04. I currently daily drive my S2000. I have an Elise coming summer 04.

My plan was to sell my S2000 summer 04 before i leave. Then i would pick the Elise up in cali and at some point pick up a second, more practical vehicle.

However, now i'm thinking that it may make more sense to sell the S2000 now and pick up the "2nd vehicle" now, that way i will have something more practical for the winter.

So my first question is, should i miss fall, spring, and most of summer with the S2K in order to have a more practical winter?

Next question is more fun...if i do get rid of the S2K now, what should i get? I can't decide which direction i want to go in. I would sort of like to have some sort of truck/suv that i could tow the Elise with. This is definitely not necessary though as i expect the elise to be very competent in stock form so it should be able to get back and forth from the track easily on its own. At the same time, i kind of would like to have something sporty like an EVO or something of that sort. I wish someone made a ~$30k AWD super fast turbo sedan that wasn't so damn ugly.

So what would you all do? Money is not that big of an issue within a reasonable range (sub 40 reasonably). I also tend to prefer used vehicles as i switch cars a lot and like to minimize depreciation losses, however i wouldn't mind something new with a good lease/finance deal.

-Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
If you want a SUV, get a used jeep Cherokee(sp?), it's popular so wouldn't depreciate much.

If you want a car, get a Audi S4, the turbo 4 cylinder version. With a chip they are ridculously fast. Just a warning though, they tend to have maintance problems down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
The Civic is a great practical/daily driver car. Front engine and FWD good for snow. I put about 100 miles a day on mine @ 31 MPG. It has held 4 guys with 4 sets of golf clubs in the trunk and costs little to insure. The LX model has auto,pwr windows and mirrors and locks, cruise and tilt wheel with front and side airbags for under $13k new with a bit of negotiation.

If you want more style look at the new Accords or an Infiniti I35.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
offroadr35 said:
I wish someone made a ~$30k AWD super fast turbo sedan that wasn't so damn ugly.
Ever look at or drive the Audi A4/S4? The A4 1.8T is a fun car with or without loads of mods. With the impending release of the new S4 the used market is bound to take a dip on the last generation one. I personally like the older body style (design B4) A4/S4, the new one looks OK but the back end is too rounded for my taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm actually going to need to stay closer to the $40k mark than the civic or jeep. This is a car that is going to be used to pick up clients, go to business meetings, etc. It needs to be somewhat luxurious, especially in So Cal where you get judged as you're stepping out of the drivers' seat. The car is going to be leased.

I'm thinking possibly a used SMG M3. That way i'd have the fun of the manual but seeing as it is my "practical" car i'd have the auto mode to fall back on.

-Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
I'd still seriuosly consider the Audi A4/S4 (since you need lease the new generation) the 3.0 A4 has plenty of punch and the marque has a lot of 'elan'. You may want to lurk on audiworld.com for a bit and do some reading. They are a lot of fun, there are a couple of audiworlders here as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
offroadr35 said:
i'm actually going to need to stay closer to the $40k mark than the civic or jeep. This is a car that is going to be used to pick up clients, go to business meetings, etc. It needs to be somewhat luxurious, especially in So Cal where you get judged as you're stepping out of the drivers' seat. The car is going to be leased.

I'm thinking possibly a used SMG M3. That way i'd have the fun of the manual but seeing as it is my "practical" car i'd have the auto mode to fall back on.

-Steve
Then what about a Merc Benz or BMW suv?
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,083 Posts
For picking up clients, a luxo-SUV makes a lot of sense. They are very easy to get in and out of, because of the seat being higher. They can also work for minor hauling.

I am not a fan of large SUVs, but the Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Lexus are very nice. And you can tow the Elise with one.

It's nice if your main car is something like an Elise, to have second car to take to Home Depot to buy stuff. Or when you go to Best Buy and get that new TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
I feel the Audi is your best bet. They are classically styled, good performer with AWD and the used market should have a decent selection to choose from. I like them a lot and nearly bought one a couple months ago but have decided to keep my 328i and wait for the Elise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
I do like the new Toureg from VW if you want to go the SUV route but that will most likely have to be a new puchase but you may be able to find someone that got in over their head with payments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
offroadr35 said:
i'm actually going to need to stay closer to the $40k mark than the civic or jeep. This is a car that is going to be used to pick up clients, go to business meetings, etc. It needs to be somewhat luxurious, especially in So Cal where you get judged as you're stepping out of the drivers' seat. The car is going to be leased.

I'm thinking possibly a used SMG M3. That way i'd have the fun of the manual but seeing as it is my "practical" car i'd have the auto mode to fall back on.

-Steve
Have you considered the Volvo S60R? 300hp, AWD, adjustable suspension, Brembo brakes, and starts at around $37k. Closer to the turbo AWD Evo-like performance you want than any $40k SUV will give you, with an interior suitable for your clients.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i think i have it nailed down to either an S4 or M3, both new. What do you guys think between these two? I like the 4 doors and AWD of the S4. Plus the two tone interior is sweet. I like the sportiness of the M3 and the SMG.

Are there any cars in this class that are coming out between now and august of next year that would be worth waiting for?

-Steve
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,107 Posts
Since it has 4 doors, the S4 will be more practical if you every need to transport more than 1 client.

S4 Avant if you choose to be especially cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
If picking up client's is a big deal, I wouldn't go with S4 or M3. The S4 back seats are cramped and M3 is a coupe. I would stick with the suv.

If you still want S4 or M3, I would go with M3. Word of caution though, the two cars doesn't have the best reliability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
S4 - M3 - C32 AMG shootout in the December Road and Track. Haven't read it yet, but a quick glance showed the S4 beating the M3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Andrew said:
S4 - M3 - C32 AMG shootout in the December Road and Track. Haven't read it yet, but a quick glance showed the S4 beating the M3.
not a very good article. Basically the M3 won every performace category. Then they had the Audi win but didn't really justify it that much. I don't know what i'm gonna do. decisions decisions....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
Wait til next year and get the Dodge Magnum SRT-8... It's big, fast, and practical as a utility vehicle (I guess). ;)

EDIT: oh yeah, the Cadillac CTS-V and STS are coming out next year also... those will be cool to check out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,682 Posts
Randy Chase said:
For picking up clients, a luxo-SUV makes a lot of sense. They are very easy to get in and out of, because of the seat being higher. They can also work for minor hauling.

I am not a fan of large SUVs, but the Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Lexus are very nice. And you can tow the Elise with one.

It's nice if your main car is something like an Elise, to have second car to take to Home Depot to buy stuff. Or when you go to Best Buy and get that new TV.
Yeah I want a Cayenne to pull mine. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts
FederalElise said:
If picking up client's is a big deal, I wouldn't go with S4 or M3. The S4 back seats are cramped and M3 is a coupe. I would stick with the suv.

If you still want S4 or M3, I would go with M3. Word of caution though, the two cars doesn't have the best reliability.
^^^

SUV pusher
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,744 Posts
An S4 avant...my dream car for the day I need to be practical.

Although, my tow vehicle is the new infiniti FX35. It's very comfortable, quite pretty, and handles well on the Z chassis.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top