The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok quick question about changing the gear oil since I am unfortunately stuck in the middle. I just drove the rear of my car on some rhino ramps to change the oil. That went well. Then I decided to change the gear oil. I unscrewed the filler screw and the oil started coming out. My understanding is that I should remove the filler screw stick my finger in and it should just be on the edge of the hole if it is full. Is the problem that I am on ramps and should have raised the car on all 4 corners to keep it even? How can I be sure if the gear oil is full if the car is leaning forward on ramps and it pours out? Will I have to get jack stands and raise the car on 4 of them? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I usually jack up the front so the car is level with the rears up on ramps. Easier to get under and another half quart of engine oil will drain also.

Mike

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was in the EXACT same situation as you. I took two jacks and put them on the "A" jack points to level the car. I felt like it was the only way. Good luck! (I hope you get that mess cleaned up too :) )

(by jacks I mean i took the jacks from the back of the spare car, that folks use to change tires. Just make sure you find two and raise driver's side half the height of the rhino ramps, then raise the other side to be even w/ the rhino ramps then go back and raise drive side to the rhino ramp height)

Ok quick question about changing the gear oil since I am unfortunately stuck in the middle. I just drove the rear of my car on some rhino ramps to change the oil. That went well. Then I decided to change the gear oil. I unscrewed the filler screw and the oil started coming out. My understanding is that I should remove the filler screw stick my finger in and it should just be on the edge of the hole if it is full. Is the problem that I am on ramps and should have raised the car on all 4 corners to keep it even? How can I be sure if the gear oil is full if the car is leaning forward on ramps and it pours out? Will I have to get jack stands and raise the car on 4 of them? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would think that the amount would be negligable. I thought about that too when I changed mine. I just pumped a lil more in and capped it fast. You should be fine. I'm sure lifting the front would be best if you want exactly precise.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I was thinking the same thing. I mean it was a small pour not like a gushing... so feasibly I can pump it in until it starts pouring out. Otherwise back to the autoparts for a jack and two jack stands... ARRGH!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I use four ramps...jack each side up and slide the ramps under each wheel....and a creeper. The car is level, and you have plenty of room to roll all over the place in a creeper without bumping your head. Also, ramps are more stable than jacks. If you live in earthquake country as I do, would you want to be under a jacked up car during an earthquake?

Four ramps (or jacks) make engine and tranny oil changes, brake bleeding, and other maintenance matters so much easier and enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
I use four ramps...jack each side up and slide the ramps under each wheel....and a creeper. The car is level, and you have plenty of room to roll all over the place in a creeper without bumping your head. Also, ramps are more stable than jacks. If you live in earthquake country as I do, would you want to be under a jacked up car during an earthquake?

Four ramps (or jacks) make engine and tranny oil changes, brake bleeding, and other maintenance matters so much easier and enjoyable.
my take is that it's not worth the trouble...in NJ.

I don't have to remove wheels to bleed brakes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
small request. after filling with the car level, could you let the front down and see where the level comes to? it would help ppl here know how to do it with the car on rear jackstands or ramps.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
When I want to have my car up and level, I:

Drive forward onto 2 ramps under the front wheels

Jack up rear of car using Jim's rear lifter thingy that jacks up both sides of rear

Place 2 ramps under rear wheels

Car is up and level

I would personally NEVER get under a car while it is up on a JACK. They are designed to lift, not hold. Bras are the only things that I know of that are designed to do both. Jack failure while you are under a car, which doesn't require an earthquake, could be devastating. JACKSTANDS are different.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Jim's rear jack lift helper thingy. Come on... you've got to know exactly what I'm talking about there from that description don't you :rolleyes:

It allows you to lift the rear of the Elise/Exige just like if you were lifting a Model T rear end with a jack under the differential. Both sides of the rear go up at the same time.

Money very well spent.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/fs-rear-jack-helper-42441/

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I ended up doing the gear change with just the ramps. Of course this was after I purchased a Jack with two stands and the jack couldnt take the car to the same level as the ramps. I was tired of the back and forth with the auto parts. So the end result: I ended up using the same number of quarts as documented even with the slight angle from the ramps. Since it started leaking slowly at the end of filling it I pumped a couple extra times after full and quickly put the screw on. So in the end, negligible difference at best. (BTW gear oil changes are MESSY as heck). Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
my take is that it's not worth the trouble...in NJ.

I don't have to remove wheels to bleed brakes.
How do you do the back brakes. I can't reach the nipple without removing the wheel. Front I understand and get, but the back? Share your secret.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How do you do the back brakes. I can't reach the nipple without removing the wheel. Front I understand and get, but the back? Share your secret.
monkey tuner thread on gravity bleeding w/o lifting the car:
moremonkey.com • View topic - Easier Brake Bleeding...

"For the rear you just lay down along the car with your feet aiming foward. You can access the nipple (!) with your tool (!) via the space behind the tire. It's not that hard."

If you have the rear up on ramps to bleed the clutch you can very easily get to the rear bleed nipples while underneath the car. It helps to remove the diffuser, I have some matching cuts on both forearms from the diffuser because I left it in place (lazy).

-chris

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
I go between the spokes and hope I've not misunderstood your question.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts